Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Money and madness

Alas, no FB here either.

You guys are all making me feel better about not being on Facebook. I had a twenty-something friend say the other day, "I can't understand why someone would not be on Facebook!" so I was starting to reconsider, but then I thought, Nah.

I can't imagine how Facebook could possibly simplify anyone's life. Between two favorite forums and email, I spend far too much time on this here thang as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I can't imagine how Facebook could possibly simplify anyone's life. .
    I do think that FB is quicker for getting out news to regular groups of people like friends and family. Example: I emailed a friend in Colo Springs to see how she's doing with the fire there. She replied saying she's okay, but then reminded me that she's on FB. That implied that she'd already put the word on her FB page about her status, which is much easier than answering umpteen emails from individuals who are concerned about her. I told her I'm not on FB and thanked her for using old-fashioned email to reply to me!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    AM I EVER in the right crowd, what can I say? I myself am getting very sick of Facebook and in a world that seems very facebook crazy to me, I am glad to hear others here are not into the Facebook thing.....Rob

Gosh you guys! She just wanted to invite people to come on over and chat! There are different groups of people using NRM's FB page and this forums, I would imagine. Do you think a kind invitation issued to the group following NRM on FB to come on over to these forums and chat would have resulted in a firestorm of criticism of the very venue of a forum? I'm guessing no. People would either come over and join us, or not.

It's ok to have discussions in more than one place, and if you don't want to be on FB, fine and good for you, but this OP was NOT about the value of FB. And we are NOT the only people in the world interested in the Financial Integrity/New Road Map organization - the organization has to have a presence in different online venues! Like it or not, that's the reality.

We all start our own discussions here regularly around money, and anyone can and does. That's great.

I don't see why the kind issuance of an invitation to join in the discussion has to result in rehashing (again . . . ) the evils of FB.

FWIW I do follow NRM on FB and find the postings enlightening and interesting.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    It's ok to have discussions in more than one place, and if you don't want to be on FB, fine and good for you, but this OP was NOT about the value of FB. And we are NOT the only people in the world interested in the Financial Integrity/New Road Map organization - the organization has to have a presence in different online venues! <snip>

Thanks, Fidgiegirl! We're still getting our feet wet on FB and (soon) other social media, and plan to build up our content as we get better at it. We'd love to have more "feeders" to get a wider perspective, too. We've recently started adding illustrated quotes: anyone is welcome to copy them and use them as they see fit, including in your albums here if you like them. Suggestions for suitable quotes are always welcome, btw.

You hit the nail on the head: there's some cross-over between the groups, but not much so far. We do a lot of promoting of these forums both on FB and in our responses to people who contact the wiki admins with questions, in hopes of strengthening both the communities themselves and the connections between them, but the actual connections have to be made by individuals. I totally understand anyone who doesn't have a FB presence, and actually sympathize. Some of our FB followers have a lot to contribute, but aren't members of this community (yet!!). Actually, we got to know our newest addition to the board, Diane Williams, through FB, which is awesome (as is Diane). Another advantage of the FB page is that you can find valuable postings on our page feed from other organizations with similar values and goals, without cluttering up this venue. We can potentially reach a very large and diverse audience with the FI/SLF message through FB.

So, the invitation remains. We'd love to have those who are interested to, join us on FB and help us make it a more SLF-oriented resource. If that's not your thing, that's fine as well (although we'll miss you). For those who do, feel free to grab the content (or essence) of any discussion there and cross-post it here (where it's actually easier to have a true discussion, imho) for easier discussion, or vice versa. This is your place, so I'll try to let you know when there's something I think may be of especial value to the community, then let the community decide whether it's valuable enough to bother with. Lol. One value of getting involved in the FB discussions is that it can help bring additional members to this venue and keep this resource self-sustaining. That said, FB isn't exactly something that everyone considers "simplifying." And that's fine: how boring would it be if we all liked the same things?

The conversation on FB started with a quote by David Herbert Lawrence: "Money is our madness, our vast collective madness." The discussion that followed tapped into the question: what is our relationship to money, and is our obsession with it madness or something deeper?

Gosh you guys! She just wanted to invite people to come on over and chat!
    And she did that.
    There are different groups of people using NRM's FB page and this forums, I would imagine. Do you think a kind invitation issued to the group following NRM on FB to come on over to these forums and chat would have resulted in a firestorm of criticism of the very venue of a forum? I'm guessing no. People would either come over and join us, or not.
    I am not in Colorado, so I missing the firestorm you claim is here. I don't know what kind of criticism she or anyone would have got, if they said how about if you discuss it here, when you have to join a site to see what the discussion is.

Quote Originally Posted by HKPassey View Post
    The conversation on FB started with a quote by David Herbert Lawrence: "Money is our madness, our vast collective madness." The discussion that followed tapped into the question: what is our relationship to money, and is our obsession with it madness or something deeper?

See how easy that was to solve fidgiegirl?

It's ok to have discussions in more than one place, and if you don't want to be on FB, fine and good for you, but this OP was NOT about the value of FB. And we are NOT the only people in the world interested in the Financial Integrity/New Road Map organization - the organization has to have a presence in different online venues! Like it or not, that's the reality.

We all start our own discussions here regularly around money, and anyone can and does. That's great.

I don't see why the kind issuance of an invitation to join in the discussion has to result in rehashing (again . . . ) the evils of FB.

I must have missed where we said we are the only people in this world. As to reading between the lines, well let me try like you. One does NOT HAVE to be on Facebook (see you never said one has to be on there), so I am reading between the lines.
    Does spewing your view of FB do any different then a negative one, just in reverse?

Put on your big girl panties and realize we were asking WHAT the discussion was.

Relationships with money vary. It can be an obsession like Greed, or more emotional, like using it to fill wants, when you have other aspects missing from your life. (stuff, or food, etc)

Junior Member iamdavidspersonaleconomy's Avatar
    Wow. My relationship with money is a disfunctional one, which is getting better everyday.
    I consider money many things that it is not meant to be. It is simply a representation for future goods or services.
    I have used money for:
    -Determining my personal worth or value
    -Determining other peoples' worth or value
    -Expression of love or appreciation
    -Filling a void of lonliness

And many more to come.

Thread Information