Thread: What is a sustainable habit?

What is a sustainable habit?

Here are some great thoughts on the meaning of sustainability in habits: http://www.realsustainablehabits.com...nable-habit-2/.

Helen

Good approach to living article.
    Editted to add that by changing my eating to a very simple sustainable structure, I have found that the four steps are followed.

I choose to have 6 x 15gm portions of starch; 2 at each meal from a multiple of careful but simple options. I read the labels of everything and discard what does not fit into my portion plan.

With this simple structure as the basis, I add appropriate portions from the various healthy and simple options to include 3 fruits, unlimited veggies, 3 dairy plus two simple but carefully selected protein sources for lunch or supper and two oils.
    Lots of variety, increased taste enjoyment of natural food and easy prep aare the result.
    I have the regular engagement, low impact on my resources of money, adding value in reduced time and planning and feel free of elaborate meal plans or fancy recipes or ingredients gaining a proper weight for my age and height with greater health/energy and self-esteem.
    Last edited by razz; 7-1-12 at 12:09pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the comment, razz! It sounds like you have cultivated a simple diet into a sustainable habit!

Nice article. I need to rethink some of the habits in our family and exchange them for more sustainable ones.

For example, my DH leaves his 3 computers running all of the time. He does use them a lot, but obviously not when he's sleeping. We also seem to do laundry more than is strictly necessary.

Some habits are easy because they are simply what I want to do! i.e. walking and practicing yoga instead of going to a gym, reading books from the library instead of watching TV. But I suspect I have a lot of invisible (to me) habits that are less than sustainable.

Food for thought!

Thanks, Gardenarian! Re: the computers, you can always put them in sleep or hibernate mode. We have a number of computers that we use regularly, but keep them on a powerstrip. When not in use, we flip the switch on the strip, killing the phantom load to the computer and the peripherals. Also, re: the bit about laundry, we just posted something about going dryerless, which might be of interest.

Thread Information