Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Forum Financial Update - 1st Half 2012

The third quarter closes at the end of September, so financial reports will come out by mid-October. But off the top of my head, I'd say we've received about $450 since July 1 from about a dozen people. So others who have not yet contributed to the upkeep of this wonderful gathering space should feel needed and invited to do so. ;-)

To clarify on Alan's report, the annual budget for SLF calls for $2500 in donations to cover projected expenses (based on 2011 actuals). SLF has two big bill cycles (June & December) to pay for internet costs, and that is the bulk of the expenses going forward. Because funds were not solicited prior to setting up the new site, SLF has heretofore been operating mainly by NRM advancing funds and paying those bills prior to any fundraising push that then fills the hole. It would be nice (and philosophically consistent) to have SLF have its funds AHEAD of the bill paying...

On a reassuring note, the expenses for 2012 should be notably lower than projected, because Alan is doing the admin for free that someone used to be paid to do. So if we meet the $2500 donation goal, then SLF will not just be keeping up with bills already paid, but will no longer be operating with a deficit lag.

Under $2500 dollars to run the home of an incredibly useful and productive community for a whole year?! That's so much cheaper than costs at the old SLN - what a bargain!

So, assuming 50 people have given so far this year, if the 90 additional people who participated with a post on August 2 (our high point of the last 30 days, with 140 users posting = 10% of registered members)... if 90 active posters each gave at least $20 as their 2012 contribution, we'd be right on target. (Let alone if the lurkers joined in.) No problem, right? I can hear the beautiful sound of people clicking that Donate button right now...

How much have you saved?

I just want to add my personal perspective on this. As I read what I just posted, I think to myself, "How much money have I saved, due to the helpful info and wonderful support I've received from this community?" Certainly much more than $20 in groceries, electricity, and/or sheer inattention to the slow leaks that would happen without you wonderful people. (And I'm basically a lurker!)
    I think, even though the "best clothes drying rack" may cost me something, it will outlast the machine, which will then last longer being used much less, lower electricity bills (carbon footprint), and my clothes will last longer too... and that's just one thread of the forum.

In the interests of helping us get to the goal, and since I haven't followed up with Rozie again about what the figures are, I'll extend my "bonus" offer to the end of August. For every donation of more than $10 that NRM receives between Jan 1 and August 31 designated for SLN forum support, I'll add an extra $1 to my planned donation, up to an extra $100. Need to set the $10 minimum as it costs NRM to process contributions, and need to cap the amount or my DH will not be happy .

Come on people, make me feel the pain! In a good way, of course -- I am happy to support the forums that have given me so much support, and even happier if it helps encourage others to pitch in.

Huge thanks to Alan, BTW, for stepping in on the tech side of things. And to the rest of the new mod team. This year has been soooooo much easier to manage with all the extra help and support.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

A special thankyou to Alan for his valuable efforts and Lhamo for her challenge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information