Thread: Simple Goodness

Simple Goodness

I am having such a heavenly late breakfast/ brunch right now I just had to share it.....

Cheese Grits with a diced homegrown tomato on top.

Absolutely Super Yum.

The tomato is outstanding.... I love summer.

Nothing super planned, just at my own little house, just me, cooked it on the fly as I am out of alot of groceries and was raiding the pantry....
    DIVINE!

Any surprises you all have had recently that you want to share... food or otherwise?

Bae - I love your visual journal entries of your simple goodness - they make me very happy.

Edit to Add: Thinking about it a little more... I think I just had a 'Blackdog Lin Moment' ...like your scrumptious, simple BLT post awhile back!

In our mountain heat wave, I took a page from the folks who make cold-brewed coffee, and recently started steeping coffee in milk (in mason jars in the refrigerator). I put about an inch of very good freshly-ground coffee in a quart jar, fill the rest with cold milk, and let it steep for a couple of days. Periodically I shake it up. (Sometimes I add a spoonful of sweetened evaporated milk, or a little chocolate if I'm feeling like something sweet) When I'm hot and want an iced coffee, I pour the milk through a fine strainer over ice, and drink with a glass straw. It's a blissful thing.

Too simply awesome, Laurel. It sounds wondermous.

I used to be a "restaurant-foodie-wannabe" in my 30's and 40's, I wanted to learn about and sample all the wonderful creative cooking in all the 5-star restaurants in all the world. The things they do, the flavors they put together, the ambiance of their dinners!

And here I am in Podunk USA, a homecook with 12 ways to serve tasty bean dishes.

And then I grew up, and I got simple, and realized that the fanciest French chef can't touch what we do every day: a simple serendipity like cheese grits with totally fresh garden tomatoes. We have our imagination to use what we have, when we have it.....we're ALMOST as good as those fancy chefs, aren't we?

Our Independence Day Feast was supposed to be something fabulously grilled, with corn-on-the-cob cooked some creative way, and, I don't know, goat cheese or something else fabulous that I would spend too much money on at the grocery store.

What we ended up enjoying was we gorged ourselves on BLT sandwiches, I made the bread and we had the homegrown tomatoes; and I fried okra in the bacon grease (politically incorrect, I know) , said okra which I picked 3 hours before I fried it, and it was so fresh and good and we couldn't quit eating the stuff.....

Simple goodness indeed. Kudos, Laurel.....

Thread Information