Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Neighbor's Yard

I don't understand this paradigm of "carpet grass and ball bushes" or why it continues to exist other than that is how things were done once when water was plentiful and the weather was less brutal than it has become. We have the perfect lawns on either side of us too - both owned by elderly women who have weekly "lawn men" with tweezers it would seem and sprinkler systems that run way too often. Roundup, fertilizer - blech! We can literally watch the birds and wildlife congregate in our yard as they skip right over the dead zones around us. I purposefully left up an old dying cottonwood so the raptors and owls would have a snag to hang out in when passing through. I am in the process of planning some more native landscaping in the fall and those old ladies ain't gonna like it. Thankfully though, we all co-exist despite our beliefs.

I used to have a Lawn Looney next door and the worst part of it was her having Lawn Doctor come regularly every summer. The sprays they use made my house smell like it had been sprayed for roaches unless I managed to quickly slam all the windows shut before Lawn Doctor got started. (This is an over-55 development with very small lots.) I let her know, but she was a very cold person who didn't care much about the neighbors and certainly not the bunnies and squirrels in the 'hood. Interestingly, twelve years later she's dying a slow, painful death from lung cancer. I don't feel very sorry for her. She was an R.N. and should have known that inhaling toxic chemicals for three or four months every year isn't a good idea.

When I see houses/lawns like that, I start singing to myself "Little boxes, little boxes, and they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same".
    I, too, wonder where the "perfect kept lawn" notion came from. Maybe its the human's seemingly constant need to dominate over things??

I must admit, when I drive by some of homes with those beautiful lawns - I AM envious.

Partly because my lawn looks like crap. It seems like I can never quite get caught up on the Pacific Northwest moss issue, that small red clover that has the little yellow flowers that bloom only for part of the day -- mocking me. Dry patches and a hodge podge of 10 different varieties of grass growing. *sigh*

Every year I think -- okay, this year -- and I have to say it is not looking too bad this year. Not anal good, but better!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Partly because my lawn looks like crap. It seems like I can never quite get caught up on the Pacific Northwest moss issue, that small red clover that has the little yellow flowers that bloom only for part of the day -- mocking me. Dry patches and a hodge podge of 10 different varieties of grass growing. *sigh*
    Go meadow!

I have to admit, there IS something soothing to the eye in a "well-maintained" lawn. But if you're...well, enlightened to what that means, then you see it as sterile.

My area is quite mixed. From the "well maintained" lawns to the one that I don't prefer, the vacant house lawn that is close to six feet tall.

My lot is pretty much natural (ferns, ground cover, some ivy...), which makes me the bane of the neighborhood. One of these days I'll hire someone to come and spiff it up, but i won't have grass and I'll keep it as close to laissez-faire as possible. My neighbor to the north, who fancies himself the arbiter of How Yards Should Look, uses chemicals liberally to squelch any hint of a "weed." I hate that as much as he hates my dandelions, but I'm on God's side.

I'm in a typical subdivision where people treasure their pristine lawns. Interesting, though. I have one neighbor across the street whose raison d'Ítre is to maintain a perfect lawn. He mows twice a week, and the greenness of the lawn is sharp contrast to the white-washed steps and painted rocks in the garden. Everything is PERFECT.

Next to him is our Chinese neighbors who have a different approach to lawn care. Every few days in the spring, Mr. Chang is out there sitting on a bucket, hand-extracting dandelions. He obviously doesn't put much stock in Weed 'n Feed. His yard isn't pristine, but it's very pleasant.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just came in from my daily chore of pulling up dandelions and native grasses near my fence. I leave them growing closer to the house. I tell myself if I just tidy a little bit every day, I'll soon have a pretty little ecosystem. I am delusional.

Thread Information