Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is 18 pounds of tomatoes?

How much is 18 pounds of tomatoes?

My CSA often offers opportunities to get veggies above and beyond what's in the weekly box. Just got an email from them offering 18 lbs of roma tomatoes for $20 next saturday. Just how much tomato sauce can I make with 18 lbs of tomatoes? We have enough space in the freezer for maybe 4 spaghetti sauce jar sized containers of sauce. Will 18 lbs make significantly more then that?

bunnys
    I would say 18# would make more than that because spaghetti sauce jars are either 24 or 32 oz sized. Thirty-two ounces is 2 pounds which would mean you'd need 9 jars provided you didn't add anything to the tomatoes.

When I did this once (volunteered handing out CSA and took home bags of tomatoes), it cooks down quite a bit if you're shooting for a thick sauce. I was lazy and did not peel the tomatoes but I did remove the seeds.

Well, I went ahead and put in my order, since I also wanted a dozen of their eggs and we got two big batches of basil in this weeks box that'll be great in the sauce. I'm too lazy to peel them also. If I remove the seeds and make a thick sauce it'll cook down quite a lot. Worst case scenario I'll take some to work and give it to my friend Philip.

Hmmm.....I would say it might cook down to something like 3-4 quart jars.

I didn't think to take a picture of them before cooking, but this is what they looked like after cooking them down by about 40%. (There were two pots originally).

And it was actually 20 lbs for $18, not the other way around.

How many quarts did it make jp1?

I made sp sauce twice in my life, and each time I was amazed about how much cooking time and tomatoes it took to get two quarts. I don't remember quantities, but I no longer do it even with a big supply of tomatoes. DH is canning tomatoes today, we've got a good crop in, but I won't be making sauce again. I buy it and augment it with canned or frozen tomatoes from our garden to make it chunky.

It ended up being just shy of 7 quarts.

rodeosweetheart
    Awesome!

I am always surprised by how many tomatoes it takes to make two little jars of tomato sauce--I got a grocery bag full free last week from a nice man at a meeting, and it made two little jars.

With fresh basil and oregano, it was just about the best tomato sauce ever, and we had spaghetti one night and portabello mushroom lasagna for two dinners. And that was just one jar.

So it goes a long way. . .

Thread Information