Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 years to become an expert

I want to learn to speak, read, and write Hebrew FLUENTLY, not the stumbling, beginner Hebrew I speak now.
    I also want to learn to compose my own songs and accompany myself on the guitar and the autoharp.

Zoebird, what a great post, and congratulations on all your accomplishments. Tell me (or pm me, so as to not hijack this thread), what technique did you learn to remember people's names? That would come in SO handy for me!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    the 10,000 hours is from Malcolm Gladwell "Outliers." It is one of the fascinating books that tries to explain why some people become more proficient at things. Although some of it is right time right place, much is due to hard work and determination.

I would suggest it as a good read, very interesting and motivating to better yourself.

I try to always have some big project I am learning. I do not know if I ever stick with any of them long enough to become an expert. My current project is really how to master simple living and the general ideas in The Money or Your Life book. I have realized this past year that so much of what I though I knew about saving and investing money and what is normal to spend money on has been influenced by advertising and how our neighbors spend their money. Our big projects for this year are downsizing and decluttering.

I have been checking out a stack of books every week from the library on simple living, sustainable living and investing money. I am far from an expert at this point but this is what I really enjoy doing and will probably be my project to master for many years to come.

Mrs-M
    Five years, would only be an introductory time-frame/period related to Professional Interior Design, but I would love to learn about antiques and interior arrangement/design.

Mrs-M
    Another for me would be to become an author/novelist.

I have started knitting in earnest. I want to become very proficient in knitting - it is mindful, relaxing, and purposeful. I have made a dress for my granddaughter and a sweater for another granddaughter, and of course, the obligatory scarves. I am thrilled to see how my projects turn out. Right now I am knitting a sweater for myself. I have joined some knitting groups which makes it more fun. Love it, love it!

I am in back to back 5 year cycles. I went to college as a grown up with kids in tow. I spent five years getting my degree and then immediately enrolled in grad school. Now I am in a 5 year program to get my PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Peg View Post
    I am in back to back 5 year cycles. I went to college as a grown up with kids in tow. I spent five years getting my degree and then immediately enrolled in grad school. Now I am in a 5 year program to get my PhD.
    Interesting that if you have funding and don't have to do a lot of extra outside work, five years is a pretty typical time for obtaining a Ph.D. I was actually in grad school for 8 years -- 3+ at MA level and a 4+ at Ph.D., but that included over 3 years in the field doing language study/field research and two years of dissertation writing. I was pretty much at a professional level in Chinese at that point, and proficient in another language, and more or less an expert in my very narrow field.

I'd like to find a new skill I want to master. Have toyed around with the idea of learning another language (likely Spanish, as it seems amenable to self-study and is more practical than Mongolian ), but also interested in really developing my cooking skills. Maybe will try a bit of both. But then I am unlikely to master either, at least not in 5 years.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    Interesting that if you have funding and don't have to do a lot of extra outside work, five years is a pretty typical time for obtaining a Ph.D. I was actually in grad school for 8 years -- 3+ at MA level and a 4+ at Ph.D., but that included over 3 years in the field doing language study/field research and two years of dissertation writing. I was pretty much at a professional level in Chinese at that point, and proficient in another language, and more or less an expert in my very narrow field.

I'd like to find a new skill I want to master. Have toyed around with the idea of learning another language (likely Spanish, as it seems amenable to self-study and is more practical than Mongolian ), but also interested in really developing my cooking skills. Maybe will try a bit of both. But then I am unlikely to master either, at least not in 5 years.

lhamo
    Efficiency is the name of the game these days and if we linger, our funding gets cut off.

I don't have the attention span to stick with something for five years, wish I did though. I have a lot of different interests and I love learning new things but I tend to go from one interest to another and eventually cycle back. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Thread Information