Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Charities?

Favorite Charities?

Just wanted to run this out--thought it might be interesting. Personally, I really like Habitat for Humanity and Heifer International. My only issue with Habitat is that the fairly aggressively spam their contributors with junk mail.

Both of these also seem consistent with the FI framework--helping people cover the basics and develop a framework so that they can continue to cover their needs into the future.

I support my local Community Foundation, libraries, park-and-recreation departments, schools, early childhood education, the local medical centers, 4H, local environmental groups, direct action "eco-terrorist" groups, the Seattle PAL, and so on. I'm also very fond of Heifer and Nothing But Nets.

I too support many local charities and efforts with both time and money. I'm no longer a big believer in Habitat. My main non-local charity is Kiva.org; I have two or three dozen loans outstanding at any given time, and have never had anyone default.

My mom died and left some money and I"m enjoying giving some of it away. I gave 10% to my local park conservancy for restoration of one of the statues in our neighborhood park.

Also on my list are:

public library's building fund
    Dance St. Louis
    Art Museum's building fund
    this web site
    Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee
    local bulldog rescue

I'm not very interested in national organizations or do gooder organizations that benefithumans, that's just not my thing. Arts and animals, that's what I like.
    Don't like people. grrrr, frown. Need valium.
    Last edited by iris lily; 1-31-11 at 10:15pm.

Thanks, this thread reminded me to send email to NPR and our local affiliate station to tell them I won't be donating this year due to their CEO's action last fall with Juan Williams. I'm boycotting NPR giving for 12 months and it's too bad for them, they won't get any of my mom's windfall money. Just more for Elephant Sanctuary.

I like animal charities, too, Iris Lily, and those that preserve nature. We also give to our church (which supports the local food pantry, some international orphanges, and community members who have fallen on hard times) and send care packages to the troops via Any Soldier. We try help local people directly, too, if they have a need that we can fulfill. Lately I've been considering sponsoring a child through Compassion. I guess I strive for a mix between local charities within the community and those that are on a more national/international scale. I see value in both.

I give to local animal rescues like MEOW and NOAH, and a Portland group that builds fences to liberate chained dogs (what is wrong with people?!) called Fences for Fido. Also to Operation Helmet, Planned Parenthood, and occasionally Doctors Without Borders and Nature Conservancy.

I give to Save the Children, Oxfam and a number of local cancer charities. I use a debit payment each month to 6 different charities.

Bulk of donation to local branch of the Salvation Army who are amazing in their work, church, TVO (public tv), and small amounts to local charities like the Humane Society. Little Theatre and Community Foundation.

I make an effort to attend productions of the theatres around southern Ontario to support drama, ballet, etc and the Art Gallery of Ontario. Sometimes longtime subscribers like me are the base of support or I like to believe that anyway. The cost of travel to attend is what I might donate though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My favorites are my church, a privately run Philadelphia homeless shelter, the SPCA, Kitty Cottage (a no-kill shelter), the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Salvation Army, Goodwill, and RBC, an organization that publishes and mails out a daily devotional at no charge and doesn't bug the daylights out of anyone for donations.

I've dropped charities for sending lots of junk mail, Heifer among them. I got really annoyed with their frequent mailing of catalogs.

Thread Information