Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Charities?

Locally I support St. Vincient de Paul, the Catholic charity. They are very active with the homeless, affordable housing, food boxes, etc.

Our church (LDS) has Humanitarian Services http://lds.org/service/humanitarian/church?lang=eng that helps people all over the whole world (members & nonmembers alike). The often team up with other churches so work will not be duplicated.

One charity that I like which I didn't see mentioned above is the Environmental Working Group. They have published some very useful consumer product guides, to personal care products and sunscreen; they also regularly update the "dirty dozen" produce list, data on tap water, cell phone radiation, etc.
    http://www.ewg.org/

Salvation Army, SPCA, Wildlife Federation, WarAmps, local school fundraisers, local Museum.

One charity that I've conistently helped is my college library electonics fund. I suppose these days most students have computers, but friends who use the library say that folks line up to use the library computers. Second would be PBS. I like these on the teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish theory. I have several outstanding loans to Kiva.org and since these always (so far) get paid back I'm not sure if it qualifies as a charity, but it is a really fun way to lend money. The National Federation for the Blind has helped a family member and they are on the list. The Nature Conservancy is my pick for environmental contributions. Rather than focus on one certain aspect, animal group, or area, they seem to be mostly involved in preserving species diversity around the globe. Oh, and I buy a state hunting license and federal duck stamps annually even though I rarely hunt these days. State divisions of wildlife are involved in all sorts of non-game species conservation these days and seem to struggle a little with the decline in younger generation hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    Thanks, this thread reminded me to send email to NPR and our local affiliate station to tell them I won't be donating this year due to their CEO's action last fall with Juan Williams. I'm boycotting NPR giving for 12 months and it's too bad for them, they won't get any of my mom's windfall money. Just more for Elephant Sanctuary.
    Iris, you can give to your local affiliate station with the specification of where the $$ is to go - like local programming - if you still want to give to public radio.

I support the local rescue mission on a monthly basis as well as a golden retriever rescue. I wish I had more money to give; there are lots of worthy charities out there.

World Vision ( I have 2 little boys there) KIVA, and my local church.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Iris, you can give to your local affiliate station with the specification of where the $$ is to go - like local programming - if you still want to give to public radio.
    nope, sorry, the local affiliates need to put pressure on Schiller to resign because she is bad for their bottom line.

For ten years I funded a scholarship at my alma mater for single parent nursing students.
    For past ten years or so I give anonymous cash donation to single parent that I personally know that is in need.(different individuals)
    In past, have given to Habitat for Humanity (and worked on houses) United Way, Red Cross, Amnesty International, Heifer International,PBS, Catholic Charities, Goodwill, Friends International (Quaker) and others, but have become disillusioned with the junk mail/spam/hounding of givers, plus not having control on how the money is spent...there is so much waste....
    About 10% of my charity budget goes to things for my hospice patients and their families. Whatever I perceive is needed. Anything from diapers for the baby to worm medication for the dog, to cigarettes for a homeless patient. (Yeah, flame me...it was his last pleasure left.)
    author of A Holy Errand

PBS, NPR, World-Vision, Doctors w/o Borders, local causes, museums and shelters, Planned Parenthood until they spammed me to death.

Thread Information