Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado residents/members, thinking of you this morning (theatre shooting).

Mrs-M

Colorado residents/members, thinking of you this morning (theatre shooting).

Thinking about all those who reside in the Colorado area, and hoping everyone is OK this morning.

How sad/disturbing/horrifying. Guns. Anyone can get them anywhere. We know how this thread is going to go....... But I'm here to say, we have a BIG problem with guns in this country. And I would truly like to see that change.

Yes, we do know how this will go. If a few people in that theater had been armed and properly trained the outcome may have been very different. You can't regulate mental instability out of the population. The guy who did this could just as easily have killed people by ramming a stolen cement truck into the theater. It seems we in North America live in an increasingly violent society. That is the issue. If not for that part guns could be checked out like movies at Blockbuster without any problems. Guns do not cause violent behavior, but something does. Until we move past the denail and figure out what does we will continue to wake up to tragic stories like this one. Heart fealt sympathy and wishes for peace to eveyone affected by this.

I know guns don't kill people kill. Give me a break. I have also hurd the story line that if others were trained and were armed they could have stopped him. I don't believe in fairy tells either.

My prayers are with my fellow citizens in Colorado.

At the last movie I attended, for some reason I had a thought out of nowhere that someone could come in and start firing and we would all be trapped in that space.
    It is all very sad that violence is so normalized and accepted in our culture. No doubt that very movie was full of it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by freein05 View Post
    I know guns don't kill people kill. Give me a break. I have also hurd the story line that if others were trained and were armed they could have stopped him. I don't believe in fairy tells either.
    How about this fairytale from just last week? http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-...162941656.html
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It is all very sad that violence is so normalized and accepted in our culture. No doubt that very movie was full of it, too.
    +1 That is exactly what the sad part is. Our whole society is in denial. It is oh so much easier to blame the tool rather than try to figure out why a criminal chooses to use it. I'm no shrink but it sure seems like a constant barrage of violent images are going to take a toll on people, especially those who are for whatever reason more impressionable or open to suggestion. There is a certain tragic irony, and I bet no coincidence, that this took place where it did. Hollywood is the biggest generator of violent images on the planet and the "stars" don't make eight digit incomes because nobody is watching. Our society is obsessed with violence. Are such images the only reason someone would commit an act like this? Highly unlikely, you hope there has to be something else wrong, too. Even so, the desensitizing effect of constant exposure to that kind of imagery must have an impact on all of us.

Well, we just are never going to agree on this issue.

Yea pretty much . And really guns are the least of the problems this country has.

It seems we in North America live in an increasingly violent society. That is the issue.
    But is there ANY evidence it is an increasing violent society? Crime has been down the last couple of decades, heading steadily down. Now the sociologists stand with their mouths agap because many subscribed to the theory that the economy being in the tubes should have increased crime. The economy IS in the dumpster, but it didn't. Now we do lock up a massive part of the population (more than any country in the world, how about that for a BIG problem this country has?), so that might be part of it. As in: hey half (really not quite that many) the population of young males is behind bars for some reason or other, no wonder there's no crime. Yea the population behind bars is a pretty big mark of a really messed up society right there, that needs to lock up all those people just for what, to function? But I don't think that can be narrowed down to "guns".

It is all very sad that violence is so normalized and accepted in our culture.
    Is it normalized? The main "normalization" of violence in this society is the acceptance of endless war. I admit that alone does sometimes make me think my society is insane. I will say this: way more normalization of violence comes out of Washington than Hollywood, what Washington is normalizing is atrocious and immoral and it has the added benefit of being *REAL* not fiction.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by freein05 View Post

My prayers are with my fellow citizens in Colorado.
    And yet, in another Colorado shooting event, an armed citizen saved dozens if not hundreds of people.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17482832

Thread Information