Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Community-building outside of church

Quote Originally Posted by Ogriv View Post
    Have you heard of the Sunday Assembly? It's a 'church' for non-believers, started here in London by comedians Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones. They are trying to make it a worldwide thing. It's proving very popular.
    Here's the website:
    http://sundayassembly.com/about/

I'd go, but I'd need to take my boyfriend, and he kind of is a believer, so I don't know if he'd like it. But then again, I've accompanied him to church before now...

First I have heard of that non prophet group.
    We have a community center here, that has a gym and various classes, although most classes are filled with elderly/retired folk. (between time frames (woodcarving class, Monday mornings), and some classes covering things that most people would do in a workforce, like use a computer).

My DH and I have been empty nesters for a few years now (both still working) and have both yearned for the sense of community that church so easily provides. We were thinking of joining a Unitarian type church, but wondered if even that would seem too religious (guess it depends on the particular church). Would definitely check out a Sunday Assembly if there was one around here. We're not atheists. My husband is probably closer to a Christian in his heart; I'm more of an agnostic. We brought up our kids in the Catholic Church, and while I appreciate the traditions associated with the church and have attempted to attend on a regular basis from time to time, I invariably get disillusioned as my heart isn't in it as far as the actual beliefs. In a way, I envy those who are steadfast in their beliefs and wonder what it must be like.

Quote Originally Posted by cindycindy View Post
    My DH and I have been empty nesters for a few years now (both still working) and have both yearned for the sense of community that church so easily provides. We were thinking of joining a Unitarian type church, but wondered if even that would seem too religious (guess it depends on the particular church). Would definitely check out a Sunday Assembly if there was one around here. We're not atheists. My husband is probably closer to a Christian in his heart; I'm more of an agnostic. We brought up our kids in the Catholic Church, and while I appreciate the traditions associated with the church and have attempted to attend on a regular basis from time to time, I invariably get disillusioned as my heart isn't in it as far as the actual beliefs. In a way, I envy those who are steadfast in their beliefs and wonder what it must be like.
    I am an inactive member of the Mormon church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. People in this church strictly adhere to what is taught! I have often wondered what is the difference in a person who adheres compared to one in another faith who does not.

I've just discovered that there's a Sunday Assembly group starting up in my city. They meet a bit far from where I live, but I'm going to look into it nonetheless.

There are some churches that are more of a spiritual nature-Unitarian Universalist, Unity Churches and Religious Science. Now do not confuse this with Christian Science. These types of churches focus on mediation versus praying and see God as the collective thoughts of everyone on this planet. I have been to all of these and unity is the most religious of the 3 and Unitarian the least.

Thread Information