Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do we change culture? Transitions from consumer culture to anti-consumerism

According to a recent New York Times article, seventy-five percent of the people close to retiring have 30K or less in their retirement accounts.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...rement.html?hp

The average Social Security payment is $1,230 a month, or under 15K a year. Basically we are going to have at least one generation in the U.S. and probably more who will be living a low-consumption, simple living lifestyle whether they want to or not, since most up and coming retirees these days no longer have pensions.

College debts in the U.S. now exceed $1 trillion dollars, so the younger generation is not going to have a lot of extra cash to spend either. In the U.S. student loan debts are generally not dischargeable in bankruptcy, so those loans are going to be around for generations.

It might by involuntary simplicity, but I think there will be much more simple living in the U.S. in the coming years out of necessity if for no other reason.

. I loved this book, even though it was so disheartening to learn that people always opted in for consumerism. In other words, when asked if they wanted time off for more leisure time they said yes, but when offered overtime, they accepted it.
    I wouldn't call that voluntary. Overtime is often accepted under vieled threat. Do it OR ... lose your job. Personally work is like death to me (and I hate it about that much and it makes me depessed) and I can't see why anyone would choose to spend one more minute at it than they had to stay employed and pay their bills. I've driven to the office on Saturdays. Out of love of the office and desire for extra pay? No, out of knowing that if I flaked on those responsibilities it's the FAST TRACK to unemployment.
    Trees don't grow on money

Catherine,

Thank you for the recommendation, I shall have a look. The description reminds me of a similar book called 'The Rebel Sell' by Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter (http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Sell-Cul...dp/0006394914/).

They argue that counterculture is not just co-opted by consumerism, but in fact is consumerism and always has been. Therefore there has never really been a counterculture to start with! I don't agree with everything they say, but they do make some very shrewd points along the way. Definitely an interesting and challenging read!

Would you like to be involved in my project? I'd be interested to hear your point of view on these matters.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Wingate View Post
    <snip>

May I ask, would you describe yourself as a practitioner of simple living?

David
    Not seriously, I do look at it to find ways of surviving without having to work full time. My wife, however, is more tied into the consumer culture, so I can not be a purist.

Hi! Cant tell you a lot bout consumerism ib the US, but i can gice you some information about europe
    - in italy and france pkastic bottles are put in the trash, in germany they are recycled and refilled like glass bottles
    - in germany trash is separated. There are trash stations where you can bring specisl materials, and there are big trash containers for thin plastic films, hard plastic, metal, paper containers for milk and juice, paper.
    - we have normal dishes we use for years and was them after every meal and not tjose plastic ones you put in the trash after the mealin germany one can only buy energy saving light bulb
    - trash isnt separated in france, italy, and i think also in switzerland, kroatia, ausria

hope i could help you a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I wouldn't call that voluntary. Overtime is often accepted under vieled threat. Do it OR ... lose your job. Personally work is like death to me (and I hate it about that much and it makes me depessed) and I can't see why anyone would choose to spend one more minute at it than they had to stay employed and pay their bills. ... .
    That was always my take on it, too.

ETA: Overtime wasn't a problem for me because we had a union, and OT was truly voluntary except in extreme cases. My experience of employment in general was roundly negative.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 8-9-12 at 10:52am.

David, I consider myself a voluntary simplifer and would love to come to the north of England to be interviewed. Alas, my other commitments prevent that and I do not have Skype, but am willing to be interviewed by phone or e-mail. PM me if you are interested.
    Fawn
    author of A Holy Errand

There is a great book called "The Church and the Land" which discussed these ideas at the beginning of the 20th century. Good historical perspective, that is very relevant today
    http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=4vzsAAAAMAAJ

To everyone who posted on this thread,

Many thanks for your input. My project has now come to a close and has been sent for evaluation. Thank you all for your interest and advice, it has been most useful to me. I wish you all the best of luck with your future endeavours into voluntary simplicity!

Thanks again,

David.

Thread Information