Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's where the gun debate should go!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's where the gun debate should go!

OK, I'll start. I'm a moderate with experience with firearms that is probably middle of the road. I am somewhat familiar with them, have been to shooting ranges now and then but I don't carry and I don't routinely practice. I have lived in TX, AZ and CO (where I live now) and I guess I would say I think CO's laws are reasonable in that there are some checks against folks buying them but if you really have a lot of fear for your life you can go through reasonable steps to get a concealed carry permit. I know a few people with conceal carry permits, and I support their right to have those because basically it makes them feel better. In at least one case, it probably vastly improves the quality of life for this person, because she'd be pretty fearful without it. OTOH, I really do not think there are a lot of mass shooting cases in which arming the populace will prevent gun violence death. I haven't seen all the stuff on the news about whether people in the theater were armed (likely some were) but it's pretty certain people were armed during the Tucson shooting a couple of years ago. AZ has extremely lax laws about guns, not even bothering to require any sort of permit for conceal-carry. I believe at least one of the people who tackled the shooter in that case to the ground was armed, but tackled rather than shot. Very few other mass shooting incidents have been stopped because of an armed bystander, most notably the Fort Hood shooting which was *on a military base* meaning nearly everyone around had had firearm training. At one time I was in a situation when I walked out of the house at night from a recessed door, to hear and see close-range gunfire (this was in AZ). I did have a loaded gun in the house, but my instinct was not to run out of the house with a gun but rather get inside quickly and call the police. I'm certain some people are different because there are trained soldiers and police officers, but after that whole thing I really, viscerally realized how unlikely it would be that I would be prepared to engage in a fire fight. Now, if someone were in my house and I had the advantage of knowing the layout and possibly the element of surprise I might use a gun. More likely I'd prefer some other tool such as a large knife, baseball bat, etc.
    As far as gun laws, I don't particularly see how changing them would have changed the outcome in many of these cases (other than the loophole by which the Columbine shooters were able to obtain guns) unless we made it extremely onerous to obtain guns which will never happen. Even if the US did make very strict gun laws, aren't the laws of Norway much more strict about guns? What about England? Yet they have had mass shootings too. These types of incidents are carried out by people with particular thought processes and possible mental illnesses. There are things the press could do to help, like not sensationalizing the whole thing esp the shooter(s) names and faces. Having a stronger mental health system and more/better intervention would likely help as well. Probably this would not completely end incidents like this, because it's sometimes difficult to predict who will carry an act out. But that's a whole other debate that isn't even brought up most of the time.
    Having some checks and balances in gun laws will probably have the greatest effect on gun accidents, which claim quite a few lives each year. I don't think it's onerous to expect some level of gun familiarity with both laws and operation of a firearm, prior to obtaining one. After all, everyone is required to have a driver's license prior to driving and much of that is because cars are deadly weapons too. And yes, some people will have guns without a license just like they drive without one, but saying "well some people won't bother/criminals don't care" is a BS argument for the same reason in either case.

There's my opinion, have at it!

bunnys
    I've heard the comment in the media how disappointing it was that one of the probably-armed people in the theater didn't do their civic duty and kill this guy while he was mid-slaughter. I don't get that logic. Individuals are not police and it is no one's civic duty to stop a criminal by shooting and killing them mid-carnage. Further, this guy was covered in armor. How would anyone who just happened to be carrying even be able to get a bullet in and slow the guy down? And there was already one person shooting into a darkened, tear-gas-filled, chaotic, heavily populated room. Did the people in that room really want to add another shooter to that mix?

That said, the desire for reasonable gun laws aside, the NRA is a VERY powerful and sophisticated lobby. There is NO appetite by legislators (especially Republican but also on both sides) to limit gun access on any level. So there can be a Columbine or VA Tech every week and given the current climate there will be no changes to gun laws. Further, I don't see the climate changing except for opinions to become even more firmly ensconced in the anything goes attitude in the foreseeable future.

In some states, carrying concealed in a movie theatres is illegal. Someone mentioned on a local AM station that's the case in CO. Or at least theatres are often no-gun zones, at the choice of the management. I've not had the chance to research that more to see if that's actually the case.

Rosie a very good analysis of guns and the control of them in the US. The only thing I would add is there should be requirements that when a person is not home their guns should be required to be stored in a gun safe. I believe most street gangs and crooks get their guns in home burglaries. They could not afford to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by freein05 View Post
    Rosie a very good analysis of guns and the control of them in the US. The only thing I would add is there should be requirements that when a person is not home their guns should be required to be stored in a gun safe. I believe most street gangs and crooks get their guns in home burglaries. They could not afford to buy them.
    I'm not sure I agree with the idea of requiring people to house guns in a gun safe at home. Many people who own pistols primarily use them for home protection....and if they're locked in a gun safe it's not feasible to get them out in a hurry or load them in a hurry. Maybe if there were an easy, small, fingerprint-protected safe that one could keep under the bed (or whatever, I don't know if such a thing exists). I don't know if I would care much personally, but I also get a little heebie jeebie about legislation that intrudes on someone's home except in cases of direct trauma to another person. IMO requiring certain type of gun storage inside someone's house for a legally owned weapon is intrusive. However, requiring someone to understand the risks of gun theft inside a home prior to purchasing a gun would be OK in my view.
    As far as guns in theaters, I believe the law in CO states that businesses can disallow firearms by posting a clear sign at entrances, and entering certain types of businesses (such as bars and schools) is illegal with firearms unless you're a police officer. But that may have been a few years ago and changed at this point....I will have to ask friends who have conceal carry permits what the situation is.
    And yeah, Bunnys, good point. If you're a gun-carrying citizen and someone around starts shooting, and then you shoot back and somewhere in there the police show up, then what? They may shoot you and it's pretty likely they'll arrest you. You might get released later, or you might have confused witnesses who say you were shooting at them, too. So now you're on trial for murder and demonized etc etc. If your other choice is for sure dying, well, maybe some would argue they'd take that chance, but in a mass shooting situation if you're in a position to fire back it's probably not clear whether you're likely to die. OTOH, one on one with an assailant who specifically wants to do *you* harm, yes probably attempting to defend yourself is preferable because you're otherwise very likely to die. Also it's much more likely to be clear it was self defense....although not 100% clear, as it's not 100% that someone who happened to be armed in some of the mass shootings would have saved some lives by killing the assailant. I don't think more of the populace armed would greatly reduce mass shootings since the shooters in these situations are most often looking for fame and/or suicide. They are not afraid of death, so they are not deterred by the notion that they may die during the incident. In some of the cases where shooters searched and killed for long periods of time (Virginia Tech for instance) some armed person might have saved some lives. In more rapid situations like Aurora and Tucson, probably less so. Given that rage and mistakes are both human nature, I don't think having every person with a loaded gun on them is a great idea.

I meant the the gun safe would be used to store guns when an individual is not home and they have guns in the home. When they are home they would not need to store them.

I do not think there is any way to prevent mass shootings. Intelligence like we use to catch terrorist would be the only way. I don't think Americans would want to give up their freedom and privacy to such intelligent gathering methods.

The Columbine, Va Tech, Ft Hood, Aurora, and Norway shootings were all in gun free zones. No sheepdogs allowed.

Once the dust settles for the recent tragedy, I'm sure this will become part of the political debate. If I could try to second guess the direction of discussion, the issues would seem to be restrictions on assault type weapons and large capacity magazines and clips. And probably more paper work and transparency to track gun and ammunition purchases. I don't know whether this will especially deter gun crimes or crimp gun owner freedoms to protect home and person to any huge degree regardless of the outcome..

My hope is that people will look at some of the societal issues that might be at the root cause of these things and at least bring some of these to light. Things like bullying and peer rejection seem to have played a role in a few of these. My issue is the gun related violence in the mainstream media that romanticizes both good guys and bad guys and at least to some would make it seem like acceptable or common behavior. It would be interesting to see what percent of non-reality TV shows have some degree of gun violence. I'm not a gaming person, but what percent of computer games have gun or deadly weapon violence at their core? Are peoples lives so mundane that they need this elevated sensationalism to be entertained?

I would like to offer apologies and regrets for a small participation in gun issues in the open forum discussion. It probably wasn't the right place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

I would like to offer apologies and regrets for a small participation in gun issues in the open forum discussion. It probably wasn't the right place for it.
    Thank you, I appreciate it. The incident has shook up my family badly. last night some of us were able to sleep. Our church was the site of a recent shooting and a police officer was killed 10 minutes from my house this month. Now only miles away they are dismantling his apartment and evacuating people in the area.

My family member who works there expressed concern that if one of their police officers had been on duty that night (they work weekends because of previous gang incidents and shootings) then it c ould have easily been a firefight. That is no comfort I am sure to those who lost loved ones however it is valid. It is horrible to me that this happened in a theatre that has responded well to threats to the patrons by added security measures.

from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    ZG, so sorry to hear about your friends. What an awful tragedy.

pug, so glad that baby was fussy!

I am not going to jump into the gun debate but think it is appropriate to raise a related issue -- the role of mental illness in these kinds of things. Can we all agree that a sane person would not act in this way? That seems obvious to me. So what can be done to better identify the types of mentally ill individuals that might act out like this and get them the help they need so that this kind of tragedy doesn't happen? Because if we control guns then without help they will probably still find another way to inflict major harm.

lhamo

I'm not sure that I agree that "a sane person would not act in this way." I don't say that to be argumentative--I just don't know that I agree with that premise.

Thread Information