Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal kitchen garden....again.

Illegal kitchen garden....again.

This looks like a lovely garden -- I'd love to live next door to these folks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...gn=daily_brief

Too bad it has to get hacked up. Perhaps they can plant some lovely, environmentally-friendly bluegrass and eat that.

It is a beautiful garden. Thanks for bringing that back up - I remember hearing about it awhile ago and couldn't remember any of the details.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

If I was forced to comply I would come up with the absolute ugliest, legal thing I could do to my front yard. That's horrible.

Hey, that's funny. DH and I were talking about garden front yards last night and he pointed this article out to me this morning. I think the yard is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    If I was forced to comply I would come up with the absolute ugliest, legal thing I could do to my front yard. That's horrible.
    haha, that would be great. Reminds me of a guy in a neighborhood in my town who decorated his lawn with bowling balls. He lined his driveway with them, his walkway, etc. There must have been 75 bowling balls out there. His neighbors tried to get him to remove them through every means possible, but he was in his legal limits. So, they devised a plan where one of the neighbors asked if he could buy a bowling ball from him and he made the transaction and was thus in violation of some "commercial enterprise in residential area" law. So they made him take away the bowling balls. A few months later, his lawn was strewn with rocking horses.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd plant kudzu and bamboo, then move to some less-oppressive place.

I love the pictures on their website: they staged a "bed-in" a la John and Yoko, with a handmade sign saying "Give Peas A Chance." Love it...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't see how this is different from a knot garden or flower garden or any decorative garden. Couldn't they call it a flower garden? All those plants flower...I'm just saying.
    Maybe their immediate neighbors haven't complained, but someone has it in for them. Someone is driving this train.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'd plant kudzu and bamboo, then move to some less-oppressive place.
    I saw a story once of a person who opened a tackle shop in the first floor of their home - no problems until some neighbors complained it was not zoned for it and shut him down.

So he went with something the land was zoned for - pigs. I expect the people who shut down the tackle shop missed it even more than he did :-)

I would remove enough of the garden to be in compliance because its probably not worth risking your house over a fine that would involve, at best, a huge legal battle against city hall. It wouldn't take me long to replace it with a giant giraffe made of old hub caps. And a naked cherub fountain that just happens to be peeing on the mayor's campaign sign. And a huge collection of gnomes all painted with evil Chucky the clown faces. And a dead tree that I bet any tree service would be happy to donate. And...

A pity, it's not only practical, it has a good asthetic too IMO (especially from the angle of the photograph), the garden goes well with the house, both strongly geometric.

It reminds me of another story of a poor woman in the U.S. who was recently forced to destroy her edible and medicinal herb garden. So what she can now only get pure food at high end organic store prices which she can't afford?

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    I saw a story once of a person who opened a tackle shop in the first floor of their home - no problems until some neighbors complained it was not zoned for it and shut him down.

So he went with something the land was zoned for - pigs. I expect the people who shut down the tackle shop missed it even more than he did :-)
    good, love the Kudzu also (probably the most out of control plant ever bwhahaha). All this type of stuff is BS, don't allow people to provide some of their needs outside of a clearly corrupt economic system (food, opening up businesses etc.).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information