Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Such healthy food at the Indiana State Fair!

The trick with a funnel cake is to get one to share with several others. I think eatting one by sitself must be in the 4000 calorie area.
    Sharing would also leave room for everyone to sample one of those deep fried somoa cookies.

I've yet to try the fried greenbeans but would probably do that if it came with a great dipping sauce.

I don't do fairs - county or state. And when we travel for art shows we rarely eat at any of the vendors that book the same shows (we've seen a few too many unsafe food handling examples). We always pack food for the day - lots of protien and energy foods to make it thru the day and then splurge on a great restaurant in the evenings with friends (if we had good sales).

I do think about having a food vendor trailer and selling crapes. Breakfast and dessert style. Bonus if I could swing transforming a little vintage trailer into my vendor trailer.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

deep fried samoas.............isn't that gilding the lily? haha

My SIL had store-bought frozen deep fried green beans that she heated up in the oven and they were good............but no long the healthy green bean. You really couldn't even taste the green bean............but I think that was the plan.
    I remember when cotton candy was the big thing at a fair. YUK. (Although as a kid, I just had to have it).
    I don't think salt water taffy is very popular any more either.
    I just can't handle sugar like I used to.
    I did like the grilled polish sausage with peppers and onions......
    Now I'm hungry...............

Steve the turkey sandwich and milk are always on my must-have list. The roasted corn too. Of course so are the deep fried cheese curds.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

One of my favorites is twice-fried green beans, a Chinese dish in which you deep-fry them first, then stir-fry them with garlic, ginger, tamari, and chilis. No breading is involved. Usually, my stir-fry includes chicken. Both texture and flavor are divine.

Roasted corn, yum. And turkey legs. I have to finish my turkey leg before I go over to the Poultry Building, my favorite part of the state fair.

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    And turkey legs. I have to finish my turkey leg before I go over to the Poultry Building, my favorite part of the state fair.
    Lol, don't want to make the live poultry nervous, after all! I was in 4-H from age 9-17, so I spent quite a lot of time each summer at our county fair. We used to get in free, and then have to work a certain number of hours at the cake booth or other 4-H-ey places. My favorite fair food always was, and still is, chocolate covered frozen banana.

Speaking of summer jobs (we were, at one point), lots of people I went to high school with got jobs at the fair every year, working for two long, hard, lucrative weeks at various food vendors.

I've never been to a state fair, but our county fair was pretty big, with lots going on (even horse racing), so I have always imagined state fairs to be similar, just bigger. Lots of 4-H friends who raised animals for show and sale would go on to the state fair after winning big at county. I never raised animals in 4-H, but I did enter a few cooking and crafts competitions at the fair when I was younger.

This thread is bringing back lots of good memories,

Kara

LOL Pug.........that's very considerate of you.

Jane.........our local China buffet has some green beans that are our favorite. They are plain, with garlic and I think a bit of soy sauce. I've tried to make them in the oven (roasted) and they come pretty close. But I'm thinking the ones at the restaurant are deep fried..........no breading, but still deep fried. Man are they good!

I made similiar green beans and it take high heat and a wok and a lot of cooking. Lots of garlic and sesame oil.

Thread Information