Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: February Frugals

Last night's pizza gathering was a success. DSIL & DBIL were wowed by DH's pizza-chef skills. DH had done all the prep for toppings in advance & refrigerated them in plastic containers. I think that's critical for something like this, so that one person doesn't end up playing servant in the kitchen. We do save a lot of money by doing this sort of thing instead of going out. DSIL said that sometimes she makes a bunch of mini burger sliders on her griddle with assorted topping choices. I think that might be a good menu for our next get together. Menu items like pizza and burgers don't break the grocery budget either

I've come to realize that having my DH do the weekly grocery shopping is more frugal, because he's much less likely to impulse buy than I am! Fortunately, he loves to do it...

Mom is here! She and Zach are taking amazing care of things. Mom and Cheyenne made up a grocery list and menu plan and sent Zach to the store so we will be eating at home this week and mom is cleaning the house and teaching the kids. Tonight's dinner is a pasta dish using leftover roasted chicken from yesterday.

Mom bought the new baby a couple of outfits and Zach got all of his hand-me-downs from James washed, folded and ready to go.

There is a high likelihood that the baby will be born this week, so Dad is going to rent Mom a car for the time we are in the hospital. I think it's really nice of him to pay for that.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Recieved both our federal tax return and the refund check for the canceled homeowners insurance today. Both will go towards debt reduction.

I went to Rite Aid today. Bought several b1g1 items including cashews for dh and store-brand claritin for ds. Last week I spent over $8 for 10 claratin. Today I bought 80 claratin for less than $20! HUGE savings. Total spent today was $31 dollars and I saved about 50%.
    We had the contractor come back over today and re-insulate a couple of drafty windows for no cost.

Customers are starting to make comments about me being more relaxed and rested these days. I don't feel any different but I guess its obvious to others that this is a good move for us.

Ds is really into Star Wars these days. Today we got another free vhs movie and two star wars book for him. Free entertainment. Best of all, he will challenge himself by drawing several pictures after studying the movies and books which will increase his skills and keep him happily entertained for hours.

Stella, so great your mom is able to help out! Hang in there and keep up posted! This has been a crazy week for us. Gave away my free tickets to the local Philharmonic Orchestra because I was coughing too much to go, and found out today that they were second row center seats! At least my co-worker and his wife had a wonderful time- I'm so glad they weren't wasted (the seats, not the co-worker!). Had a really nice free lunch on Saturday at a local spot, courtesy of my SIL, since DD and I spent the rest of the day working on one of her pet projects. Stayed home all day yesterday, which was really nice. Had to buy gas today but made it to the cheapest spot, saving pennies, at any rate. Water is really high here, but DH got the basement pumped out without issue, thanks to the new pump we bought on super-sale (less than half price!) last year. AND we have a spare one!

Feb 28 OMG were did this month go???
    --Roast turkey in gravy, the last from the freezer from new years's
    --again leftovers from last nights supper for lunch today.
    --DH and I had an hour to wait between appt. so we went to McD (not my fave ) but, coffee is free till Mar 8 and we had a muffin each total cost $2.50

@ rosa--I think a baked potato or taco bar might be fun (and cheap), too!
    @ stella--so glad your mom has arrived to help out. You're in my thoughts and prayers. :-)

Went shopping with my MIL yesterday. We oo'ed and ah'ed over all the cute baby stuff...but didn't buy any. :-) SO much of it seemed more like a "nice to have" than a "need."

A long time coming and should have been done long ago:
    Cut out house phone and cable television package - opting for antenna due to proximity to urban area. - saved $110/mo
    Canceled rarely used gym membership - saved $90/mo
    Cut out buying coffee during the week, opting for free coffee at work - saved ~$80/mo

All in all, these February cuts resulted in me saving $280 a month

Thread Information