Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The DIY Thread!

The DIY Thread!

Hey all, I'm gettin' even more into DIY around here.

Today we went to a place and combed through all these window screens (we think the bank's agent threw ours out, not to be found anywhere) and didn't find what we needed. So I thought . . . can we make our own replacement screens? Well hot diggity dang, we can. Easily. So I'm gonna! We'll go to Menards tomorrow for the stuff.

I broke the heat dial on DH's car, so that's the next piece of research. Also how to fix his A/C possibly.

And tomorrow, or maybe RIGHT NOW, I'm gonna go replace the cabin air filter in my car. Found a nifty YouTube for how to do it and finally going to get it done.

Had an unsurprisingly unsuccessful attempt to buy a discounted back-up swimsuit tonight. I have a weird body shape so it's a miracle when I find one. DH joked that I should sew one. I said . . . well, actually, I have an old one I could take apart to make a pattern - now my little brain is a'workin' on that project, too!

What DIY successes have you had lately?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Kelli, that is great that you are so self-sufficient! It's really admirable!

Thanks Tussiemussies! I enjoy it very much. It's a creative outlet of types, I guess.

I'm surprised there haven't been a few more responses to this thread. Maybe when I get so excited about something I assume everyone else must be just as excited! I'll give it at least overnight, I suppose . . .
    Kelli

Our latest DIY projects - my husband fixed the mini-fridge I use for overflow produce. It had been collecting water in the bottom and we found instructions on the web how to fix it. I coaxed on of my kids into baking banana bread from scratch instead of buying dessert and I made my own dish soap this week from natural ingredients.

Since we work less these days we have more time for quite a few DIY projects but these are the latest ones.

Yeah, try2bfrugal! Excellent score on the fridge project, and now the kids can make dessert every week
    Kelli

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    Yeah, try2bfrugal! Excellent score on the fridge project, and now the kids can make dessert every week
    It was a $100 small fridge from Sam's so it would have cost more for the repair call than it would have to replace the fridge, so we were glad he could fix it. I like to stockpile long storage life produce like apples and onions when they are on sale and extra fridge space.

I have been checking out books from the library like Making It - Radical Home Ec for a Post Consumer World for ideas on lot of DIY projects. Each week I try to add a few new DIY or money making projects to our routines. Making my own beeswax candles is up next. A couple of months ago it was DIY terrariums from thrift shop containers. Some of those were total fails and some turned out really cute. I have several big boxes of books from library book sales on all sorts of DIY stuff -at home spa treatments, herbal remedies, lots of cook books, garden projects, terrariums, gift baskets, cleaning supplies, and related stuff. It has been kind of wild how much money we have saved so far off our expenses and we still have a huge list of projects on our backlog list.

Kelli: I find this topic of great interest, but I was disappointed that I couldn't really think of much to post. I would like to claim more in the way of large, glamorous projects like the hardwood floor installations we did in the past, or the shelves we've done in some of our rooms, or our major landscaping projects with fieldstones, etc.
    Recently it's been small stuff, but still somewhat noteworthy. I did make a couple of terrariums earlier this year (thanks for the reminder T2BF), and I have been making cleaning products that I'm pretty pleased with. I'll post again if I think of more!

1) We made our own trellis to hang the cucumbers on by buying a few very cheap stakes and a couple of horizontal strips that we attached with screws to the vertical stakes. Didn't save a lot, maybe $15, but it was a "custom" job

2) A couple of months ago, we laid down our floating floor in the family room and hallway. Probably saved us up to $1000.

3) DH helped DS change his brake pads, saving DS about $300
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Go, Kelli!
    Most of my creative energy is going to the garden these days. I'm using what I have to improve both yard and vegetable garden in the way of plantings and trellises.

I think that your DIY projects are great.

Lately I'm not doing anything. Oh wait--I do have home decor sewing projects going--window treatments and pillows and a screen to stand in front of the tv. BUt those are on hiatus until winter.

I don't do any fix it projects. I don't know how to fix things, I am hopeless that way. But DH is a professional handyman and so he fixes the stuff around here.

Thread Information