Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not THAT frugal! What won't you do?

I agree with the "personals" as well. Regarding the cloth TP, i guess in theory it makes sense since cloth diapers work so well for babies. But adult poop just seems so much more..... pathogenic.

I will not buy shoddy tools, even if they are cheap. Some shoddy tools are expensive too, you need to keep your eyes open.

There are far too many tool-shaped objects sitting on the shelves of even higher-end stores these days, made of inferior materials with designs that have lost touch with what the tool is supposed to be used for. These tools are essentially useless, dangerous in some cases, inefficient to use, often cause damage to expensive work pieces, and do not last.

And that's just simple hand tools, when you get into power tools, it is a disaster these days - there is very little available that isn't utter BLEEEEP.

They are no bargain, whatever the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nella View Post
    Use coth rags instead of toilet paper. Yes, that was once a suggestion on the boards here and I saw it on some kind of "frugality" special once. I'm uber frugal, but sorry, but I'm just not goin' there.
    Ha! That's exactly what I was going to post!

Drive significantly out of my way to save money. Because on average it doesn't.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 8-1-12 at 5:00pm. Reason: confusing phrasing
    Trees don't grow on money

I refuse to wash used plastic wrap and then dry it out and reuse it. Just the thought of it sticking to my hands is kind of "ew." Just my 2 cents.

I recently noticed a co-worker who flossed his teeth - then put the floss back in his drawer to re-use. Gross.

I won't keep my house too cold ever again. I'm fine with using a space heater at select times, but I'm done with worrying about how much it costs to heat the house. Did that before and I didn't really need to and I definitely don't need to now. I hate being cold!

I also won't try to cheap out on food. If healthy delicious food happens to be on sale, fine, but I enjoy food way too much to scrimp on it.

Okay, I don't know if you are ready for anyone to admit this, but I DO use cloth wipes instead of TP, as do both of my girls, (1 & 3). But just for #1s. We use TP for #2s.

We use(d) cloth diapers with both of them, but both girls were "poo-trained" really early (elder at 3 months and younger at 4 months). And those early breastmilk poos are not like poo wash right out. Having never had to deal with a poopy diaper past a few months of age, I really cringe if I see an older baby with a poopy diaper. I just can't comprehend having to clean up a solid, real, poo. Eww. Okay, sorry, enough poo talk, can you tell I'm a mom?

Anyway it made sense to use cloth wipes with cloth dipes, and since they were potty trained so young, we just kept using the wipes. And I thought, why not me, too? Apparently this (cloth TP) is called "family cloth"

We also use cloth napkins (it's like our home is a fancy restaurant!). We use hankies for the runny nose kind of things, but have tissues for honkin' nose blows. And I use a diva cup and cloth liners. (IMO, way superior to disposable products- work better, more comfortable, better for the bank account and the environment.)

But to answer the question "What I won't do?" Wash plastic baggies. It just doesn't seem worth it. I just try not to use them at all. I also won't buy used socks or underwear. Take free stuff I don't need.

I won't buy or use stuff that is the wrong colour. When I do, I regret it every day so learned not to.

Won't use dirty shopping bags so wash my cloth ones often.

Cannot tolerate cracked or chipped or mismatched dishes so went to white basic Corelle with good linens to set them off.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catccc View Post
    Okay, I don't know if you are ready for anyone to admit this, but I DO use cloth wipes instead of TP, as do both of my girls, (1 & 3). But just for #1s. We use TP for #2s.
    I think this sounds quite reasonable and sensible. I don't do it, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea at all (just never really thought about it). I already use a Keeper and cloth pads and handkerchiefs, so "family cloth" (seriously odd name) is kind of the next logical step, just for urine, like you said. Honestly, I don't really understand the disgust here, considering so many people cloth diaper and use cloth menstrual pads.

I won't, however, reuse my dental floss like Greg's coworker. That is too gross for me.

What else won't I do? Well, I have tried starting plants from seed and I just suck at it. So, I buy seedlings in six packs for my garden, and that is considerably more expensive. I also will not try out cheaper brands of cat litter, because I just have a feeling that my cats would protest the change.

Kara

Thread Information