Thread: Electricity

Electricity

Ok. We have had record heat and drought for the last two months. Nothing in 35 years like this. I was scared that the electric bill would be sky high. We paid a little extra to ensure it was covered. The AC on some days ran 24 hours it seemed.

Just got it and it is 22% less!!! than last year. So we started investigating what is different. The thermostat was kept at the same constant 75 degrees as last year. We were home all month. If the house got a little warm, we used a fan.

Differences:

1. We replace the 12 year old refrigerator this year with a super efficient one.
    2. Replaced the TV with an LED one that uses less electricity.
    3. Replaced the whole house air cleaner.

If it is the refrigerator, it will have paid for itself much faster than we thought (plus we love it.) Got an LG without ice maker and with a bottom freezer.

Was the cost 22% less, or was the number of kW-hours 22% less? Rates change constantly as well.

When we changed our old frig and freezer we noticed a big positive change as well. The simplest model often is the least expenisve to run.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

rosemary, it was 22% less usage this year. Hubby tracks kilowat hours per the bill and we used 22% less.

I have an interest in what it takes to lower kwh use. It's sorta fun, but only if you live alone. Over the years I stopped using most appliances. My last month KWH in Texas heat was 47 KWH (thermostat on about 80, at work during day).

bunnys
    Quote Originally Posted by simplelife4me View Post
    I have an interest in what it takes to lower kwh use. It's sorta fun, but only if you live alone. Over the years I stopped using most appliances. My last month KWH in Texas heat was 47 KWH (thermostat on about 80, at work during day).
    Is that good? Need some context here. I have no idea how many kwh I (or the average person) uses. Just know what my bill is--but don't know what the average household's bill is...

Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    I have no idea how many kwh I (or the average person) uses. Just know what my bill is--but don't know what the average household's bill is...
    Your bill should list how many kWh you used during the last billing period; sometimes they'll list the previous billing period or same billing period last year for the sake of comparison. Our utility (Xcel Energy) will, on their Web site, let you chart the last year or so of usage.

FWIW, during one of the hottest Julys in Minnesota history, and with a fairly constant stream of visitors to our house last month (all of whom apparently are from a planet where electricity is free), we chewed up almost 600 kWh. A much more typical bill throughout the rest of the year is about half of that. 1800 square feet mid-70s rambler with finished basement, "fan-assisted" central air, gas appliances.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information