Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-Strategizing for Heat and Drought Anyone?

I hand water, too. I volunteered at our local elementary school to help plant their vegetable garden. They use sprinklers at night, and I was surprised at how healthy everything is. I thought that they'd get mold on the squash leaves. We have a dry climate, though. Our summer has also been fairly mild, so I think it has made gardening easier.

Jemima,
    Is there a college student who might want to do your garden work in exchange for some fresh produce? That might help you out, and then you could at least have you backyard stash...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I think that is correct. I believe the theory is that the leaves are more prone to disease if they are kept wet. I hand water using a wand attached to the hose much of the time, but also have a sprinkler that I can adjust to keep the spray at a low level. I figure rain is basically overhead watering and I don't stick strictly to the rules. I can assure you that I am not an expert gardener.
    I was thinking about the fact that rain is overhead watering, much the same as sprinklers, so I'm not sure what's wrong with that approach. Maybe I'll give sprinkling another shot this fall before investing in soaker hoses.

I have read that when you use sprinklers you lose about 50% of the water to evaporation before it can reach the roots of the plants.

Have you considered using greywater? It is not expensive to hook up greywater from your washer or shower, and it is generally sent to a drip line. (Water is very expensive where I live, so this pays for itself quickly.)

Thread Information