Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Strategizing for Heat and Drought Anyone?

Re-Strategizing for Heat and Drought Anyone?

My garden didn't do well at all this year (so far anyway - I'm going to give it another shot for fall) even though I got a 2012 Farmer's Almanac and planted nearly everything according to moon phases, et cetera.

Because this hot, dry weather is expected to continue for at least several years, I was pondering the wisdom of planning next year's garden based on one planting zone warmer (I'm currently in Zone 6) and possibly planting more perennials, although that means I'd have more fruit bushes and fewer vegetables. I'm also considering getting soaker hoses since I had a lot of illness this spring and wasn't up to watering every day by hand.

Anyone else thinking along these lines? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I installed drip irrigation on my raised bed vegetable garden (8, 4x8' beds) a few years ago. It was a big project - lots of labor. But it has really paid off in time and water saved compared to manual watering.

bunnys
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    Because this hot, dry weather is expected to continue for at least several years,
    Where did you hear that this hot, dry weather is expected to continue for at least several years?

Sorry about your garden and health issues, Jemima. I know I have to water my vegetable beds every morning. I can skip one day, now and then...but they do need consistency. I've also noticed that my garden does best when I'm in good health. It's an energy thing. Feeding mine weak compost tea once a week has really helped, too.

Companion planting also works for me. The three sisters, (corn, squash, and green beans,) seem to really take off together. Some kind of synergy. Fruit trees do love the heat, and can go without water for a couple of weeks.

We set up three connected large rain barrels near the garden and one near the house. Because we live in an rea that has many market gardens with their own irrigation ponds, it does not make sense any more for me to grow pickling cukes, beets, tomatoes plus corn and squash etc. I have focused this year on leeks for drying, green and wax beans for eating/canning, early potatoes, table cabbage, lettuce, blight-free tomatoes, radishes, carrots and onions plus flowers for my dining table.

The early heat in March and loss of bloom due to frost on apple trees has affected everyone in our area so not sure what to do with them if this hot weather keeps up for years. The trees are stressed. The birds eat my berries as soon as they start to ripen so that keeps the bugs under control but no fruit this year from our garden.

The heat will be variable though, I believe, meaning that it will rotate around and not hit the same places in the same way each year.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I did a square foot garden last year, by the book using a raised bed. The magic soil mixture has a third peat moss, a third vermiculite and a third compost. The soil mixture is supposed to retain water and require less frequent watering. It also doesn't require much weeding and no tilling. Last year it worked out pretty good and did not seem to need as frequent watering as a regular garden, but this year nothing did well in either the raised bed or my small traditional plot. It was just too hot I think, but maybe something else. Anyway, if you want to cut down on watering and labor, you might check out the book on square foot gardening or do some web research. I really don't plan on any changes, but it has been a slightly discouraging year for me and I've decided to put off plans to expand my traditional garden.

I don't know if this summer is a weather trend, but I would think we are going to have warmer weather and swings of extremes in the future. I have a friend who put in a rain barrel for his roof run-off but we've only had two half decent rains all summer, so it really hasn't helped a lot. I've used a soaker hose, and I don't know that it was any great deal compared to some form of sprinkler type watering. My neighbor has a larger traditional row garden with troughs between the rows and he just runs some water down the troughs and it seems pretty easy. I've also seen kits for drip irrigation systems that might help?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't know if this summer is a weather trend, but I would think we are going to have warmer weather and swings of extremes in the future. I have a friend who put in a rain barrel for his roof run-off but we've only had two half decent rains all summer, so it really hasn't helped a lot. I've used a soaker hose, and I don't know that it was any great deal compared to some form of sprinkler type watering. My neighbor has a larger traditional row garden with troughs between the rows and he just runs some water down the troughs and it seems pretty easy. I've also seen kits for drip irrigation systems that might help?
    I've been told that overhead watering (sprinklers) isn't a good idea. Yes? No? I've got plenty of hoses and sprinkler heads already.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    Where did you hear that this hot, dry weather is expected to continue for at least several years?
    From several sources, including a friend's sources and the Internet. I would be delighted if that prediction proves to be all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I installed drip irrigation on my raised bed vegetable garden (8, 4x8' beds) a few years ago. It was a big project - lots of labor. But it has really paid off in time and water saved compared to manual watering.
    Anything labor intensive is a problem, I'm sorry to say. I'm pushing 67 and I'm a small, not terribly strong woman, so big projects usually end up meaning big expenses. Sometimes I think I should just give up and get my vegetables from a CSA, but the only one in my area is awfully expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I've been told that overhead watering (sprinklers) isn't a good idea. Yes? No? I've got plenty of hoses and sprinkler heads already.
    I think that is correct. I believe the theory is that the leaves are more prone to disease if they are kept wet. I hand water using a wand attached to the hose much of the time, but also have a sprinkler that I can adjust to keep the spray at a low level. I figure rain is basically overhead watering and I don't stick strictly to the rules. I can assure you that I am not an expert gardener.

Thread Information