Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st day back, speaking of lunch

1st day back, speaking of lunch

Hi all, I am pretty excited for my new school year. The site sounds interesting and there should be some challenges that I am ready for. We did some training and then went out to visit the camp sites that are still going this week, I was supposed to observe things however I know so many of the kids that they just hugged and talked with me. I will have to admit to not observing much. I am with the same supervisor but almost a totally new team. One lady I have worked a little bit with and we have similar styles, we have both been teachers and done summer camp, have good relationships with staff, etc. So today after the shared morning training our small group went off to meet for awhile and I remembered my supervisors style of looong meetings. I am pretty much a short and sweet, sometimes I need to give more info in fact. We were scheduled for lunch about 12 and it was after 1230 that we got to eat. I don't do too well with that, and in a few days I am donating blood. They were clear I needed to eat all day and drink water. Now there is no problem with eating while we meet, no one is going to look at us weird, however I am still concerned. Since I have been so healthy with drinking water I finally had to ask if it was a good time to step out to the bathroom. I do not do the rushed lunch at my desk thing or super late lunch unless we are actually having an emergency. I have lost 5 lbs this summer and when I start exercising I will eat 6 times a day easily. I am still going to see how the week goes before I decide if I need to bring it up, It is only the week that we really are meeting a lot. However I will mention it on the blood donation day. Other than that, I got to dress super cute because I thought I might meet the principal today. After a fun summer with the required work t-shirts I enjoy dressing myself.

bunnys
    Have a good year.

I don't go back for 3 more weeks and the kids come back the day after Labor Day. What's wrong with all these school districts going back in the middle of summer. So glad I work somewhere where they kick it old school. Literally.

If my job ever allowed me to have any time off, maybe I'd have time to be excited about it when going back (was briefly after unemployment I guess).
    Trees don't grow on money

ANM:

As another teacher, I don't know how other year-round professions keep their sanity with only the common 2 weeks off. Although a friend who went from year-round work to a 200-day contract said it was, in a way, easier to work all year, because the routine of life stayed constant. He has little kids.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

It's tough to work all year, often with unplanned overtime. I cope by taking off all extra time I can. Every holiday I can get, every 1/2 day when I have a mandatory training, a whole sick day even if all I have is a dentist appointment. I do best if I work 4 days a week more often than 5. It's only thru self care that I avoid burn out. No one else looks out for me in that way.

I didn't keep my sanity with 2 weeks of vacation. It was a big reason for leaving my career. There was no balance, and the company would clearly do all it could to suck the life out of me.

I will probably take a week of vacation. I don't have 2 weeks saved up as I used a day here and there - to the tune of about 5 days (for my sanity yea, wasn't able to just save it all up a year, needed a day here and there - when I'm past the point of burnout I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I didn't keep my sanity with 2 weeks of vacation. It was a big reason for leaving my career. There was no balance, and the company would clearly do all it could to suck the life out of me.
    The lack of vacation (or PTO in my case) didn't bother me so much until I had to juggle a kid and a job. Then it was really hard.

Well I send hugs to all of you, seriously.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

What do you do now Rosemary or are you retired? I'm not anywhere near retirement but my eyes are always open for a better career .

Thread Information