Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colorado the skinniest state

Last time I went to my doctor to have my blood pressure checked, she was very pleased to see that my former blood pressure was back to normal.

I don't use any salt now, in fact I don't even have any in my kitchen, and she told me that was exactly the right thing to do to keep my blood pressure down.

No problem with that, I don't even like salt any more.

No salt has also reduced my weight. No more heart rate problems either.

I've had a huge problem with getting my heart rate down over the years, so it's a huge relief to not worry about that now.

That is so great lizil, it must be a relief to you. Glad it wasn't a hard change for you and that you don't need to be on medication...

What interesting conversation after this,hmm.

I don't pay much attention on anindividual basis, my DR says i am wonderfully healthy but on charts I am overweight. I would really like to be 5-10 lbs lighter because I feel good there but in your 40's sometimes you do not have the responses you like.

What is very interesting to me going from having lived inBoulder, now working in highpoverty areas, and traveling/having family in different regions, is how much of a difference your culture can make in support or not. I stay really on a healthytrack and I am grateful that myextended family is very health oriented, but while I was dating someone it was apparent that was not the norm.I have workedplaces (not inColorado) where they actually laughed when I talked about running and thought I wastoo aloof because I packed healthy lunches. It does affect you, at least I stopped talking about running and more chips and sodas were in my lunch. I saw kids at camp over thesummer, a few had scholarships from our highpoverty schools and most paid a tuition that is substantial. The lunches were really different. Theonly kids I saw getting candy were the high poverty kids, we did not allow sodas, most of the other kids had things like a handfulof bluberries withother healthy foods.

For this school year I am looking at this and the programs we already have available in Colorado, when my son graduates in3years I am willing to move so I am building up what I need to take a Colorado lifestyle somewhere andhope to have an impact.

Thread Information