Thread: Yellow watermelon

Yellow watermelon

I got a yellow watermelon at our little local farmer's market. They were out of regular We cut it open tonight and it doesn't really have much in the way of flavor. Is that normal or did we just not get a good one? Anyone know?

Not sure but I have seen seeds for these. You may want to pose the question on the net and see if you get any good answers!

Interesting. Here abouts (southern oregon) yellow watermelon is the BIG thing. Everyone raves about them. I am not a fruit person so I have no opinion.

Yellow watermelons are as subject to good and bad as the red ones. I think you got a not-so-good one. I wouldn't go out of my way to try another one, but I wouldn't write them off as losers, either.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Out of a dozen watermelons purchased this summer, only one was yellow. It had little sweetness or flavor. All the reds except for one were wonderful.

Thanks, all. Most of my regular watermelons are red & juicy. But not all of them are. So I guess I will just chalk it up as one of the not quite ready yellow ones.

I got one from my CSA, and it is mostly tasteless as well. Wasn't awful, tho, so we'll eat it gladly. Must have been picked too soon ...

I tried a sample at the farmers market last week and it was very bland tasting, it was nice and crispy and brightly colored but not alot of flavor or sweetness. I assume it was pretty typical of them all as they wouldn't have sampled a "bad" one because no one would buy it. Then again maybe the vendor didn't care or didn't bother to taste it. Myself I would never give out a sample of anything that I hadn't tasted first or was sub par, but that's me.

All of the red watermelons here have been delicious all summer.

Finally got a nice red watermelon tonight at the Farmer's Market. Hope it is delicious when we cut it open tomorrow.

Thread Information