Thread: Updates on my unemployment situation.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Updates on my unemployment situation.....

I have two updates on my unemployment situation.....Good news and then some information.....Good news is that I have an interview to pick up some shifts as a cater waiter for a hospitality services company, strictly P/T and no benefits but better than filing out app after app after app all day in this black hole that seeking employment seems to have become. The other piece of news is that I don't qualify for a grant for training. I am not looking at this as bad news, just information. It may actually work for me anyway as if I can pick up some catering shifts over the season I have a name and an idea, and need to do more research but instead of frustrating myself, why not try starting a business online? Seriously, at this point it's not like I have much to lose. So this is what's new with my lack of employment. Any good interview wishes please send my way.......Rob

Good wishes sent your way. Anything I could do to help, as a resident geek, to help you find any geek-related training free on-line is yours at the drop of a note.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Mrs-M
    Hey, Rob. I have good feelings about your P/T gig! And as always, sending you warm (and well) wishes, along with a measure of good luck to help keep your spirits up! One day at a time.

Good luck on your job search. In the mean time there are many ideas at forums like fatwallet and slickdeals on how to make some extra money without having a regular job. I always like reading the slickdeals thread on what I got free in the mail today -
    http://slickdeals.net/f/777982-What-...mited?page=348

There is also no harm in trying your hand at making an online income from blogging or writing for places like ehow or hubpages in your down time. You can get started blogging with a Google blog for free and then put Adsense on it for income. I know people that will have maybe a hundred or so mini-sites. Each one may only make $1 a day but 100 sites like that would make $36.5K a year. If you look at websites for sale, many are scams, but some are real sites and the owners detail out in the sales information exactly how the sites make their money.

I know something good will come your way, Rob, because you have such a good attitude about these events. I am sending good vibes your way as well.

Hi Rob, glad for you that you got some part-time work. It must feel like a relief?

Good luck with setting up an online business, I hope it all works out for you! Christine

Good vibes and positive thought coming your way, Rob! Your post about finding catering gigs reminded me of "Blood, Bones and Butter" by Gabrielle Hamilton, founder of "Prune." She did a lot of work like that for many years, and describes it quite vividly. I'm waiting to see if I qualify for a particular government-funded training program myself, but even if I get in, it will take a year or so to go through it before I can put it to use and find a local job in a school. Don't be afraid to set audacious goals and simultaneously do humbler types of work on the way to getting there. You can do it!

Sending good wishes your way.
    I always thought I would go into catering, but the sad truth is, I just don't like making food enough to do it for a living.

Hang in there, and best of luck!

Good luck, Rob! Have you checked out Code Academy? It's free coding lessons so might be worthwhile to play with if you have some extra time. It might be nice to have some structured time with a PT job while having some free time to pursue self-education and businesses.

Thread Information