Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs...

Eggs...

... again?? Oy. I love eggs for breakfast. I come from a family whereby my father had his first heart attack at 58. I am 57. I eat a dozen eggs a week... Organice, free range, usually fried, some butter, some olive oil. Now I'm getting concerned again. <Sigh>

What's your take on the egg controversy?
    Last edited by redfox; 8-21-12 at 12:45pm.

I am positive that their habit of having eggs for breakfast every morning contributed to the deaths of my great-grandfather (96), and two grandfathers (95, 94). I think the slabs of bacon they laid the eggs atop may have had something to do with it.

:-)

I eat a lot of eggs these days, from our own chickens, my bloodwork looks fine. They work so well in baking too, real eggs.

Bae... Nice!

Teeheehee....there's probably an icon for that. Thanks for the support, bae. Eggs are awesome. I am trying to locate a regular local source for mine...wish just ONE of my neighbors would take up chickens as I don't want to de-simplify that much. I just want the benefit of someone else's labour...

Eggs are good for you, eggs are bad for you, coffee is good, coffee is bad, etc., etc. This year it is good for you, 5 years later it is bad then a few years late it is found to be good again and repeat. We have chickens and we eat eggs.

The study is so full of holes you could use it to strain tennis balls! It's based on the infamous memory questionnaire, single sampling, and only two questions: How many eggs did you eat? and How many cigarettes did you smoke? No questions about sugar intake, processed foods, refined vegetable oils, or soda drinking. Any study based on one questionnaire, extrapolated over a multiyear period, is likely to be a tad dodgy.

Exactly Suzanne! I think sugar is the real poison! Our grandparents, some of whom lived very long on a diet of eggs and bacon, ate very little sugar, and certainly didn't consume the processed foods, white flour, sugar, and goo we do. Eat the eggs and leave the sugar out of the coffee, don't eat the pastry or toaster strudel (despite the commercial, it isn't a part of a good breakfast! it's cookies folks!)
    I only wish I could eat eggs. I love them but they don't love me!

redfox............Are you keeping an eye on your labs (cholesterol in particular)? Also, with your family history of heart attacks, you should have your heart checked every couple of years. That would include a stress echo.
    If those things look okay, then I wouldn't worry about the eggs. And, as has been said, there are alot of other foods that are much worse for your heart. I think eggs are chocked full of good things.
    But with your family history, you should definitely be tested occasionally.

We do only organic, range free as well. I say keep eating your eggs but maybe fry them less often. Soft boiled are my favorite, in a bowl with little pieces of toast broken up and mixed in.

I have high cholesterol. It's heredity and only drops so far with any measure of diet and exercise. Training for 1/2 marathons (never did a full one) years ago coupled with an almost completely vegetarian diet got my numbers down to "borderline". It is what it is. At that time adding eggs back into my diet almost daily made no difference whatsoever. Now I eat lots of eggs. Organic eggs. Our own chickens are a work in progress, but for now organics from the store. I probably eat 18 to 24 eggs a week if you tally up everything they go into in addition to breakfast. Count me with the movement that feels they are close to the perfect food.

Thread Information