Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Downton Abbey Junkies out there

What did everyone think of Shirley Maclaine? I liked some of her scenes but for the most part there seemed to be something a little off. Maybe if I watch again in re-runs it will sit better with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    What did everyone think of Shirley Maclaine? I liked some of her scenes but for the most part there seemed to be something a little off. Maybe if I watch again in re-runs it will sit better with me.
    I watched that last night and didn't really like Shirley in it too much. She seemed to be very unnatural and forced in her anti-anything British lines. However my favorite line was from Maggie Smith when she was asked how she felt about Shirleys upcoming visit. Maggie's character responded that (shirleys character) always made her so proud to be British. When someone responded that Shirley was an American not British, Maggie Smith said: "exactly!".
    Last edited by Spartana; 1-17-13 at 6:23pm.

I agree that Shirley McClain's part was just not well written. The part could have been so much better. And I very much resent the dinner scene where she is boorishly slurping her food in to portray Americans as having no table manners.

I'm glad Downton Abbey is back on Sunday nights. Mrs. Levinson's (Shirley Maclaine) references to being able to entertain the family in Newport, R.I., got me to researching Gilded Age mansions on this side of the pond. I'd like to see Biltmore Estate in North Carolina, for starters, and there are some museum/mansions in Newport that can be toured. Biltmore has an add-on butler's tour of the downstairs so I'd like that.

The Dean of my seminary has a niftly segment from Religion and Ethics weekly that addresses issues of faith in the world of Downton Abbey:
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande...n-abbey/14519/

I was a history major but never was interested in this particular period until Downton Abbey.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I agree that Shirley McClain's part was just not well written. The part could have been so much better. And I very much resent the dinner scene where she is boorishly slurping her food in to portray Americans as having no table manners.
    Well, here's the thing: I don't think that Downtown Abbey has excellent writing. I think everything else about it is so fab (actors, visuals) that I tend to forget that the writing isn't first rate. But don't get me wrong, it's better than "ok."

Maggie Smith's part isn't well written but she does so much with it.

I will say that the latest plot device (erm, spoiler....about the money of the estate )is interesting. I think that I missed an episode so now don't knwo wheterh to watch as broadcast or just wait for the 3rd season dvd, out soon (but with long wiating lists at the Library or Netflix.)

If you want to catch up, PBS is streaming the first two weeks online right now, if you can do that. You can also download from Amazon for $1.99 if you care for that option.

Apparently one of the American TV networks is planning a similar series set in Gilded Age New York (so around the time Cora the American Countess was a young girl). I have also heard that ITV is considering a "prequel" set at the time of the Earl and Countess's marriage. I would love to see that...although it would be difficult to find a younger actress who could play the Maggie Smith role. Still, I have always wondered what went on early in their marriage, since the Earl has mentioned he wasn't in love with Cora at the time they married. And can you imagine being a newlywed with the (current) Dowager Countess as a mother-in-law? Anyway, I hope both come true, I would happily watch them.

Amelia - the Crawleys really needed the $$$ to keep Downton going. If you've ever read (or seen on PBS) The Buccaneers (Edith Wharton?), it's exactly about that sort of situation. I recently read a wonderful book about the American heiresses going over to Britain to catch themselves a titled aristocrat for a husband. The titled aristocrats needed the American cash. The book explains a great deal. The book is To Marry an English Lord.

Probably the most well-known of these American heiresses was Consuelo Vanderbilt who married the Duke of Marlborough.

I hadn't watched it until recently and got interested in it. I love watching the upstairs/downstairs stuff, the scenery, the relationships, the lifestyle, etc. But since its 3rd season just started, I had questions about what led up to it to this point. I was in Walmart yesterday (forgive me!) and saw seasons 1 and 2 for only $35 (is about $60 on Amazon), and I splurged and bought it. Its so much fun to watch. Today I watched some of the extras and they were really good too.
    It will still take me awhile to figure everyone's relationships out. I wonder if the rules about heirs was really true back then. I can't believe some people had so much money and so many servants........and had nothing to do but whatever they wanted to do.

Tradd, thanks for those recommendations....sound really interesting!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Julian Fellowes has filmed a factual programme about some grand English homes. The first programme was shown on ITV earlier this week. I found it interesting, even if JF can appear pompous at times.

Here's a review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...TV-review.html

Thread Information