Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chickens... :)

Hahaha! Wow! I just went to the forums for Backyard Chickens, there were 948 people online at that time, and like 77,000+ members! I was amazed, there are a lot of people out there with a passion for chickens! I think that is awesome

Beautiful eggs, Storyteller!
    Midwife........Yes, that place is hoppin'! Sometimes it moves a little too fast, but its still a great place. You might even learn how to do a little surgery there!

I have had buff orphingtons, they were sweet but VERY broody. Nicest personality but I had to keep breaking them of the broodiness and finally I gave in and stuck some fertile eggs under two.They hatched out 10 chicks last fourth of July and were wonderful little mama hens. That was a ton of fun but I did retire those birds because I just couldn't get them to keep laying and stop being so broody.

Black Astrolorps were very cold hardy but for me didn't really have much of a personality and were ok layers.

Now I have red sex links....they are superb layers and really winter hardy although I am in a cold areA but I have a super duper coop with heat Thanks DH.

I'm trying to get a couple of Ameracaunas so my DD can have green eggs this year. It's such fun to try new breeds. Just make sure you go for some that are winter
    Last edited by TMC; 2-15-12 at 9:33pm.

I think there is a "Cult" of backyard chicken people! I wish I had the room to have a little coop. I have visited the BackYard Chrickens forum and enjoy reading everyone's stories about their chickens! They all seem to have so much personality - people LOVE their chickens!

My parents have the room for chickens and I have put a bug in their ear about maybe having a little coop.

TMC........I agree about the Black Australorps not having much personality. But sometimes that's good! What I mean is, they never caused any fights, and because of their size, the ones who did cause fights didn't seem to bother them.
    When the MM Hatchery go to a minimum of 3? I've hard that one reason places don't like to send only a few is that they get too cold in transit and can die because of it. But it would be great to be able to order less than 25!

I too dearly love chickens (had them growing up*) but as it turns out I'm allergic to eggs (whites) so if we were to get chickens they would just be pets. And while chicken or turkey is my preferred meat, definitely would not kill and eat chicken pets! So I guess we're not going to have backyard chickens.

And besides that we live in a subdivision and chickens aren't allowed. {sigh}

*ETA: and during our back-to-the-land hippie years ...

Thread Information