Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Movies Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaJane View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Anna Karenina! I probably will not make it to the theater, but that reminds me to put it in the Netflix queue. I am going to see *blush* the final Twilight movie next week with my sister. She really likes them, I kind of like them, and her husband rolls his eyes at them. So we have made something of a tradition of watching them together, although not always in the theater.
    Oh that's ok, I myself watched the first Twilight film knowing full well about it, but still, I wanted to see it. I like the angst of Bella. And I have a weird obsession with KSTew, I love her as a fashionista.

If you do not like to watch a film with subtitles, skip this post. I am studying Italian language and enjoying some outstanding films to enhance learning.

Cinema Paradiso. This film is critically considered fantastico and I fully agree. The story is set in 1947 post war Sicilian village. The story follows the main character, Salvatore Di Vita (Toto) from a scrappy, gutsy kid through middle age. The cinema was a focal point of the community pre television. Everything and anything happened in the theater. The story is remarkably well acted, very funny at moments and realistic.

Pinocchio - This film is the Roberto Benigni production. While it is truer to the original novel, it's problematic with an adult playing the role of Pinocchio. In the books, he is more of an imp and a controversial, complex character to say the least. I loved the book but it's hard to accept the portrayal. The actor almost pulls it off.

A Very Long Engagement - French - This film stars Audrey Tauto (?) based on the novel of the same name. If anyone read and saw Birdsong, it's in that caliber of production. Of course any story set in WWI will be heartbreaking. This story tells of two young lovers separated by the war and her loyalty to the relationship.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Since becoming empty-nesters a couple of years ago, my wife and I have been going to a lot more movies in theaters. She and I both strongly agree that this has been the best year for movies that we can remember in a long long time. Among the ones we've seen and enjoyed this year

Beasts of the Southern Wild
    The Intouchables.
    The Master
    Argo
    Skyfall
    Flight
    Moonrise Kingdom

Really looking forward to seeing Lincoln, Zero Dark 30 and Le Miz

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post

I went to go see "The Master" last weekend.
    Did not like it. When I left there I felt duped, if that makes any sense.
    Strong actors, beautiful cinematography and I am a sucker for period dramas -- but the story just wasn't there for me.
    I liked it. Just not as much as I expected to after reading so many glowing reviews from the critics.

Do have to say that (other than in Walk the Line) I could never stand Juaquin Phoenix as an actor. Almost didn't go to The Master because I generally detest his performances. He was truly extraordinary in this movie. Never thought I would see the day that an actor would "steal" a film from Philip Seymour Hoffman but I could not take my eyes off of Phoenix during the entire movie.

Skyfall. Rented Serenity (sci-fi) and several others sci-fi ones. Trying to catch up on some old ones I saw in theatres but couldn't really hear very well (lost most of my hearing in my late 20's) even with hearing aids. So have to wait until they come out on DVD so I can use close captioning. Want to see Life of Pi. Waiting with bated breath for "World War Z". Brad Pitt. Zombies. What more could a girl ask for :-)!

Silver Linings Playbook. Fantastic - Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are great, more than hold their own against DeNiro.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Silver Linings Playbook. Fantastic - Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are great, more than hold their own against DeNiro.
    AGreed, I really liked it.

We just bought (yes, bought) Cabin in the Woods. We're looking forward to a quiet few weeks so we can go out and see The Hobbit, Skyfall, Lincoln, and some others.

I've been on a streak of both recent and classic westerns and really liked "Blackthorn" starring Sam Shepard which is recent. And the classic "Geronimo: An American Legend" with Robert Duvall and a young Matt Damon. I'm looking forward to getting to the theater for a couple of the current movies. It does look like a good movie season.

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    We just bought (yes, bought) Cabin in the Woods. We're looking forward to a quiet few weeks so we can go out and see The Hobbit, Skyfall, Lincoln, and some others.
    I just watched Cabin in the Woods last night. Very interesting and unusual.

Thread Information