Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving water for when power goes out

Saving water for when power goes out

I thought we would lose power recently when we had a big storm. I bought several 2.5 gallon water containers (with water) and then I usually fill 6 of my big Tupperware containers (about 2 gallons each). If I need more, I fill some of my big cooking pots.
    I keep empty 2.5 gallon used water containers and cut a hole in the top and fill them with water and then set them beside each sink. They have a faucet on them, and it works great for washing hands.
    I wouldn't use the stored water from the tap for drinking unless I boiled it in the fireplace. Have any of you ever added bleach to your stored water? How much do you use?
    Do you have a water purifier for emergencies?
    Just trying to fine-tune my power-outage preparations.
    Oh....we also fill our tubs for using to flush the toilets. No-power life improved alot when I figured that one out!
    Thanks.

My next big wished-for purchase is going to be a Berkey water filter like Bae has. http://www.berkeywaterfilterstore.com/

We have a greenhouse that is passive solar heated. We have a wall of barrels filled with water. When the sun heats the barrels, the heat from the barrels radiates into the greenhouse. If the power went out we could use this water for flushing toilets, but I wouldn't drink it as it is very old water. We did put some bleach into each barrel but hubby can't remember how much he used.

We are on a well here, so if the power goes out our well pump won't work. We have a generator we could use instead. Also, one source of water that many people don't think of is their hot water tank. There is lots of water in it that you can access if you get desperate.

Another source of water is a swimming pool or hot tub (if you have them). Again, not water to drink, but good for flushing the toilets.

I just found this site that has some very helpful information regarding bleaching water: http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/bleach.htm

I live on an island out in the ocean, off the west coast of the USA. It's 56 square miles in size, and primarily it's a couple of rocks, with a layer of sedimentary rock, and some glacial drift left atop that here and there. You can drill for water in some places, but the aquifers are pretty spotty at best, often you're just drilling into fractured rock and hoping for the best. Rainfall is 10-25 inches down by sea level here, much of the precipitation in the region never makes it over, it gets raked off by the Cascade Mountains, Vancouver Island, or the Olympic Mountains.

But, there's a 2400 foot mountain here, the tallest thing for ~60 miles. It manages to rake off a bit of rain, and has spots that get 60+ inches of rain. And I live halfway up it.

So, from the top, here's a tour of my water supply:

The fire observation tower on the very top, built by the CCC:

Don't get distracted by the view, we're here for the water....

Here's what we're dealing with, in terms of the land. Doesn't look so promising, eh?

But even up here, at the very top of the mountain, water pools up from rainfall and mist, and seeps out of the living rock:

And as an aside, amidst all this huge scenery, look down:

Yes, freshwater clams. At 2400 feet above sea level on a small island in the ocean. Go figure.

Here's some scans from the top of the tower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag0WB2DDQaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9juET5EhV8s

If you look sort of in the middle of this, you can see Mountain Lake. It, and several other small lakes, collect much of the water that runs down and oozes down the mountain.

Mountain Lake is reasonably big, and full of fish:

Several streams flow out of Mountain Lake and the other small lakes:

They flow into Cascade Lake, which is quite large - it's about a 3 mile hike around the oval-shaped lake, it's full of fish, it's great to swim in, and perfect for small boats:

From Cascade Lake, we withdraw it by several pipes to my neighborhood's water treatment facility (no pictures, I couldn't find the keys easily), then it gets pumped up to these two tanks by my house for the use of 4-5 households:

Small tank on my lot corner, for filling fire trucks:

Big tank for drinking water and fire flow pressure, even if the power is out:

Problem solved.

Hmmmm........thanks bae, that was very helpful.

Well, you asked :-)

I don't lose water pressure during power outages of many days.

If the water system fails, I have a Berkey filter, and a year-round stream out back. The Berkey is really handy for questionable water. I also have a fair number of 55 gallon, 20 gallon, and 5 gallon containers, most of which I keep empty, as I can easily fill them ahead of need, and that way I don't have to worry so much about chlorination levels.

I also have a hand-cranked desalination unit, and a powered one on my boat, and live surrounded by the Pacific.

I'm on a well which is electric, so if we lose power, we lose water too. I'll look into the Berkey filter. It looks good. I'd like to be able to drink the water I save, even after a week. If I had a filter like that, I could.
    Thanks.
    P.S. I forget the name of it, but I was reading about something you could buy and hook it up to an outdoor faucet and it would pump water out of your well. Anyone hear of that?

Bae......that looks like a beautiful island. Is there a school on there? Hospital? Do you work there, or do you always have to take a boat somewhere? Is that a temperate region?

Thread Information