Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inexpensive protein snacks

I was interested in this thread to. My boys are hungry often (go figure!), but the problem we were running into last year and I am going to guess it will happen again this year is that they started dropping weight and they don't need to do that. They were eating three balanced meals a day and a snack after school. Once summer hit I needed to up it to a light morning snack, afternoon snack and then something light before bed. They didn't always want something, but most often they did. They still lost weight over the summer, but it thankfully slowed down.

I found this recipe, I guess it's similar to the fritata but I thought perhaps it could be frozen after baking for individual portions.

and then some yummy sounding vegan recipes here for snacks
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...veg-index.html

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitch...ea/#more-32729

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    Isn't Greek yogurt just thicker than regular yogurt? You can simply drain the whey from normal yogurt for much less cost.
    Read: http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...better-regular
    We buy it at WinCo, where it's insanely cheap. It's still more expensive than regular yogurt, but not by much. I've strained regular yogurt before to get it to the same consistency, and I end up with about half as much, thus more than negating the money savings in buying regular instead of Greek. I have never seen it so cheap anywhere else, though.

It also takes a long time to get it to a thick enough consistency. I don't have enough fridge space to set a colander and bowl in there for a day at a time.

I did make my own yogurt in the crock pot once. It was good, but extremely runny. I think I might save up for a yogurt maker, though. At the rate we go through it, it would pay for itself in a couple of weeks.

I thought this thread was worth a bump. It's a perpetual dilemma, after all.

I did some digging for it because I need the help with my diet during work hours. I'm hypoglycemic, so I must have some protein every couple hours. But my job involves a lot of driving around town to meet clients where they are. So I need snacks that are portable, non-messy finger food. I've done the whole sandwich/yogurt/hard egg/trail mix to death, and I never want to see any of them again. But I'm stuck for other ideas. This thread has been helpful.

Anyone else want to keep the conversation going?

Beef jerky is a good snack. Low calories and protein.

Yes! I went with Slim Jims for a while but they're basically grease syringes. I've also seen cylindrical "beef bites" at the store that look a lot healthier. Gotta try those.

I got through college on mozzarella sticks, almonds, and homemade granola with lots of seeds....

A big challenge for me is packing bitty protein snacks for work. When I have the the luxury of some time to eat sitting down, I'll pack bowls of soup or stew and freeze them overnight. Then I throw the brick into my bag in the morning, and it's thawed by lunch time.

Bumping this up as we have just instituted a "no desserts/treats on school nights" rule in our house and I would love more ideas about healthy, protein based snacks (as I am still trying to do the low carb thing and also dont' want my kids getting into the habit of carb-heavy snacks, even if they are otherwise healthy.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information