Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Update

Ankle Update

22 days after the car accident.
    Had my x-rays on Tuesday and returned to the Ortho today.
    One bone is lined up great! The other broken spot is that bumpy bone on the outside of your ankle. Its floating in place but we need it to start building its 'calcium glue stuff' so it will stick in place. He let me have a cast! Woo Hoo! I feel so much more secure in it than in the splint. One more week on bedrest to let the body energy go to that bone that needs help. More x-rays next Wed and Ortho on Thursday. If it's holding then I can keep the cast 6-8 weeks, if its not holding then 2 screws.
    Quite the ordeal for sure.
    He did say it can seriously take 6 mts to a year to feel 'normalish' but he said I'd be kayaking for sure in the spring as long as I don't try ice-skating in January.

I tell you what, I'm so thankful for my church. Even though I'd already used up my vacation before this happened and have run thru my sick days and holidays for the remainder of the year they are paying me my regular salary regardless. Plus we've had meals brought to our home every evening except three. We've had so much leftovers that the chickens are happy too. What a blessing to the family (and our food budget).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Simpler at Fifty
    All the good comes back to you for things you've done for others all these years. I am glad you are getting lots of help.

Glad to hear you have another week to get energy to that bone. Positive thoughts coming your way.

Glad to hear that you got the cast since you feel so much more support with it, hope your ankle bone heals correctly for you so you will free and clear to move on. Will pray for you. Glad your church has really been a support to you. Christine...

So happy to hear that you will be up and about soon! You never whine, but you are so active that I know this must be incredibly difficult for you. Rest up, you'll be raring to go next week!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Wow Float On.....how do you keep from going crazy? Or......maybe you're enjoying your time resting!?
    How very kind of the church people to help so much. I'm sending you lots of good, calcium-filled thoughts!

I'm actually suprised how well I'm sleeping every night and I've dropped a few pounds even though I'm not being active like usual. Apparently the body does put a lot of energy into healing itself.
    A little stir crazy but not too bad. I try to get out on the front porch for about an hour a day, have plenty of books to read, and finally working thru my movie list. I did order a couple pair of yoga pants in black and gray, tried those on over the cast last night and I think they'll work great for me when I go back to work.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Glad you found something to wear, when you go back to work. I guess you could wear dresses. haha
    I'll bet you're missing your quiet kayak moments. That is surprising that you can sleep so well at night, after laying around all day. Maybe you're catching up on lost sleep?
    Sounds like your body is enjoying this (at least the non-broken bones parts!).

Good news indeed!! You are handling this with admirable patience!!

Didn't know about your accident, can certainly understand the stir-crazy aspect and glad things are coming back together the way they should. Stuff like this can turn our lives in unforeseen directions as I'm sure you know. I'll be interested to hear about the good things that came from this.

Wildflower
    Good to hear you're doing so well, Float On!

Thread Information