Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bread Recipe

The Bread Recipe

This is a link to the easiest artisan bread recipe in the world, it's the original one that was posted on the old forums. Yum!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/211brex.html

ETA: Thank you to Bae for posting this originally. IMHO it just might be the most magical thing that ever came to me from the forums, I am now known as 'the woman who makes that amazing bread'.
    Last edited by kib; 1-2-11 at 6:15pm.

Oh, for the first time, I realize that I can bake four loaves at once. I thought that each had to be baked separately which consumed a lot of energy. Will try this now.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

good call, kib, on resurrecting this one!

I love how all the fermenting time gives more flavor to the bread.

The authors continue to post related recipes on their website and they just finished their new 5 minute pizza and flatbread book. They plan to have it on the shelves in Oct 2011.
    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

And there is info from the first book at
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    I love how all the fermenting time gives more flavor to the bread.

The authors continue to post related recipes on their website and they just finished their new 5 minute pizza and flatbread book. They plan to have it on the shelves in Oct 2011.
    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

And there is info from the first book at
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx
    Thanks for the info, Amaranth. I just checked their website and their panettone recipe looks wonderful. I must try it soon.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Going to have to give this one a try. Hoping to become more adept at baking, including bread, this year.

Thanks so much for putting this up again. I wanted to retrieve it out of the old forums before they died and had no luck. Yippee!
    Last edited by fidgiegirl; 1-2-11 at 4:54pm. Reason: add my thanks
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I think the best thing I ever purchased was my bread machine. Here is a great and healthy recipe for bread that we really like. It makes a short, dense loaf and goes great with peanut butter.

Multi-Grain Bread

1 ½ cups warm water
    3 tbsp. skim milk powder
    2 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 tbsp. molasses
    1 ½ tsp. salt
    2 cups white bread machine flour
    1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
    1/3 cup rolled oats toasted*
    3 tbsp. cornmeal
    3 tbsp. wheat germ
    1 tbsp. flax seed
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds (no shells please)
    2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order given above. Set on whole wheat/whole grain cycle; medium/normal colour setting.

*To toast the oats, spread a thin layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 10 – 15 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring often. If you want to toast enough oats for more than one loaf, just freeze the extra oats in premeasured amounts.

I really want to be that woman, too. I keep saying that in the winter I'll try that bread recipe. Well, here it is winter. Maybe I'll try it when our latest rescue dog leaves. He consuming a little bit of time.
    Last edited by iris lily; 1-12-11 at 11:23pm.

I just made it! It was awesome! It helped that I just got the Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day book from the library, because there were pictures in there.

I do not have a baking stone so just used a cookie sheet.

The only problem was that the middle game out kind of doughy. I read in the book that it was from underbaking. Since this happened the first time I tried a loaf of yeast bread (several months ago), it tells me that our oven is not at the right temp. I need to (as the book recommends) buy an oven thermometer.

In fact I have to buy quite a few things to keep this bread project going! That thermometer, more yeast, and maaaaaybe a baking stone. We'll see.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Take a local ceramics class and you can make your own baking stone, and people cultivate their own yeast, too! I don't know how to make a good oven thermometer, though. Although .... oh never mind.

Seriously, I think there is a variation of this recipe that uses a dutch oven instead of a baking stone that people also said worked just great, if you have one of those. Anyone?

Thread Information