Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letting go of stuff

We've settled on the very decent offer from the insurance company. We are being cashed out for more than the best Blue Book price. After my last canning video series check comes in next week, adding it to the sales of our two cars, we will have amassed a significant sum... well, significant for us! Some or most of it will go into another vehicle. I am in the hunt for that now. No more car loans!

It was teary for me saying farewell to our darling ECHO... it served us so well while raising kids. I appreciate the suggestions, and am actively looking for a used Vibe, Matrix, Scion, Yaris, or... ?? I have several Consumer Reports articles on repair history, fuel consumption, etc., for vehicles under 10K. Still open to suggestions!

I vote for a used Matrix. Hatchbacks are very versatile, and combined with the famous Toyota reliability, it's been a fantastic car for me.

That's good news, redfox!

I really like my Volkswagen Jetta Wagon (not the Sportwagen). It's carried unbelievable cargo (sofas, bookcases) and it's safe and fun to drive. Mine also is the diesel model, so I get 45-55 mpg. You'd be hard-pressed to find a good diesel Jetta Wagon for under 10 grand, but the gas-engine models should fall well within that price range. Note, however, that VWs do not suffer neglect and deferred maintenance gladly. Keep up on the maintenance and you'll have a car that's good for 15-20 years or more. Drive it until a light goes on or throw away the maintenance booklet and you'll have a lot less fun -- and a lot less money.

My wife has a Kia Soul; I'm not sure if the price of those used has dropped below $10,000, but it might be worth a look. Lots of room for four people or for two people and a lot of cargo, lots of gidgey-gadgets for the money, and it seems to be pretty well built. Hers is two years old and has never had to go back to the dealer for either a recall or a repair. The disadvantages, though, are that 2009 was the launch year in the U.S. (they fixed a bunch of stuff for 2010), it does not get very good mileage for its size (they fixed that in 2012 with a better engine and transmission), and the seats are great for around town but I wouldn't want to drive one cross-country. Oh, and the looks, but that's totally subjective.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I vote for a used Matrix. Hatchbacks are very versatile, and combined with the famous Toyota reliability, it's been a fantastic car for me.
    A Pontiac Vibe is the exact same car as a Matrix, Toyota-built with a Pontiac label. I found a certified used one for my parents and it came with a great GM warranty. Really fun peppy car to drive.

Thread Information