Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: October Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    Our refi is done! Yeah!! We combined our first and second and got 3.25%. Woohoo!
    That is a great rate. Good work.

bunnys--sounds like money well spent to me! :-)

stella--thanks! It's weird; I don't remember doing anything to my neck, but it was tight and sore for a few days, and then yesterday and today it really hurts! I can't even turn my head all the way.

The scalloped potatoes and ham turned out fabulous last night. I had a few peas sitting around, so I through those in, too, and made a salad as a side. DH had seconds and packed some leftovers for his lunch today.

I've already combed through the ads and started making my menu and grocery list. Tonight we will go trick or treating down our block and then head over to friend's house to hand out candy.

Wow is it just my imagination or has October been an exceptional month for frugals between the refinancing, selling free stuff, and all the great cooking that is being done? Good stuff!

Ever wonder how much we all save as a group over the course of a month?

I've had an sucessful few days myself. I used my 10 off of $30 kmart coupon combined with manufacturer's coupons, sales and my kmart card savings to get over $40 in stuff for just under $20. The main item was a set of cast iron pans that I've been wanting for quite a while. Dh also got 2 large bottles of lotion that should last him at least a year if not 2. He has sensitive skin and needs to be a bit fussy about what he uses. The lotion alone would have set us back over $16.

I still have money on my Family Dollar card from last years sweeps win. We went there with the intent of using it up. We figured prices are going to continue to rise so buy now to get the most bang for our buck. We filled a cart with staples like baking soda, lemon juice, bleach-all things with very long shelf lifes (lives?). Anyways I still have $30 left on the card after purchasing a ton of stuff.

Kroger's was good to us too-we saved 56% and got 3 more free deoderants as part of our trip.

But the biggest news of the week is that the employee who traded us canning jars for the car jack brought us 66 more canning jars and a PRESSURE CANNER for free!!!!! She and her mother are moving and cleaning out a storage unit. This stuff was going into the dumpster so she brought it to us. We won't discuss the wastefulness of trashing stuff-it makes me nuts. Anyways, before I realized how much she had brought I sent her home with $30 for her mother as a token of my appreciation. Now that I see just how much I recieved, I feel a bit cheap but oh well.

DH wants to learn how to can actual meals like soups with meat in them or mole. This way restaurant leftovers can have a second life. He also plans on buying things like chicken leg quarters when they are really cheap and prepping and canning them in actual meals.

I want to be more diversified and learn to can all kinds of things so that we don't have to depend on the grocery stores so much in the future. I dream of a huge garden being preserved each year after we retire from the restaurant business.

I'm drinking free tea and doing laundry with free laundry detergent today.

I haven't won any good sweeps lately but am going to give it a shot today.
    I didn't want to look back at the end of my life or after some great catastrophe and think, 'How happy I used to be then if only I'd realized it.'
    Gretchen Rubin-- The Happiness Project

Happy Halloween, everyone! And great job on the frugals this month -- this has been an impressive thread!!!

I don't have much to report except the usual. We've been eating from home and tonight I'm roasting some potatoes that I got a good deal on last week and some garlic that we grew ourselves. In addition, we'll have a big green salad for dinner topped with chick peas (bought in bulk and cooked in the crock pot-- yay!) and hard boiled eggs. Our grocery spending has been on the high side because I'm on a temporary dairy free diet (in addition to being gluten free and a vegetarian). So I've been splurging on things like coconut milk ice cream and probiotic drinks, which definitely gets expensive!

My partner's birthday was this past weekend and he had no interest in going out to dinner, which would be our usual way to celebrate. Instead we stayed home and rented a movie on Netflix. I felt bad about not doing anything special for him so I bought him a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting the next day when I was at Whole Foods and brought it home. He was totally stoked and ate it as soon as he came back from a trail run. Frugal birthday win!

Aside from that, we had our hands full preparing for Hurricane Sandy. It did force me to get organized and bring all the plants that I want to overwinter indoors. So far so good, if they all survive the winter it will make our container gardening project very frugal next spring!

Oh, forgot yesterday's frugals:

- a no-car day, though I really don't make plans for them; and
    - made chicken fingers out of the freezer, breading them with saved-up cracker crumbs.

And a note to myself about frugality. I needed to pick up some aluminum foil. I was at the grocery store near our house and the choice was Popular National Brand and what I call Y&B brand (Yellow & Black; generic) for much much less. I figured "aluminum foil is aluminum foil, right?" Wrong. This cheap stuff feels like Mylar, and I find myself doubling up on it to avoid holes. Not enough of a savings for me. An attempt at frugality; a fail.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

A no-spend, no-drive day. Pulled food from the freezer and have it thawing in the fridge for the next two days.

Finally I have a frugal to report.

We have satellite television and as part of the service they provide a free PVR (video recorder). This month they billed us $15 for a month's rental of the PVR. I phoned them up & chatted awhile. Turned out the initial three year period was up and that's the period that the PVR is free. So I enquired, and hemmed and hawed, hinted about other tv suppliers. End of story, they refunded the $15 and said there would be no further rental fees for the PVR. Savings $180 a year plus taxes. It took me about half an hour of chatting but that's pretty good pay for it.

Score, thinkgreen!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information