Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October cook at home / what's for dinner?

last night - oven "fried" cod and steamed green beans.
    tonight - pork loin chops, wild rice stuffed homegrown pumpkin, and roasted cauliflower.

My parents are still visiting so there is more meat on the menu than usual. My dad likes his food plain and meat & potatoes - based. The wild rice (with orange, cranberries, and pecan) stuffed pumpkin is something my mom and I will enjoy and she would never make it at home.

The pumpkin sounds wonderful! Glad your Mom can get to enjoy it...

I'm wondering how to wrangle an invite to Rosemary's!

Corned beef & cabbage here tonight. Brisket has been on sale lately so I had to break down and make a big corned beef. Been cooking low and slow for about 5 hours so it smells pretty good! Probably have to do Rubens tomorrow just to make sure the arteries are properly clogged.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by winterberry View Post
    Wow! What is tipsy laird?
    The way my Grandma made it tipsy laird contained pound cake, custard, rasberries and a significant amount of whiskey. What's not to love about that!!! Curious to see if her version is anywhere near authentic.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Oh my goodness, we had too many meals out over the weekend. My parents were visiting, and one thing led to another. I did made adobo-style chicken drumsticks, rice, and sauteed chard for dinner one night. And we had pancakes with homemade lemon curd, bacon, and eggs at home twice (2nd time was leftover pancakes), but other than that, it was 3 days of eating out. We were only allowed to pay for one meal, so it was fine for the budget, but, oh, the calories!

Ahem, back to cooking. I never cook on Monday nights, so that was a leftover/scrounge meal. Yesterday was our CSA pickup day, so I roasted beets, cauliflower and carrots with garlic, and served that with some kielbasa from the freezer. Tonight I have school, so it's leftovers. Tomorrow, I think I will make some burgers to eat with the rye bread that I made last night. We have CSA lettuce to eat, so, need to make a salad. Oh, I made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies last night, too, because my poor DH is having such a hard time with work and school right now.

Kara

Double cheeseburger sans bun (lots of melty sharp cheddar and chopped sweet onion), cottage cheese with chives and tomato, and a romaine and mixed greens salad with homemade green goddess dressing. I even made the mayo base. Successful mayonnaise--a first! Kudos to the Vita Mix. Iced passion fruit and green tea.

Shrimp tacos with coleslaw.

Yesterday was homemade chicken soup with coleslaw and grapes.

Our tomorrow's dinner will be almost the same as Jane's. No cheese, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    The way my Grandma made it tipsy laird contained pound cake, custard, rasberries and a significant amount of whiskey. What's not to love about that!!! Curious to see if her version is anywhere near authentic.
    I will have to run out tomorrow to get the ingredients!

The wild-rice stuffed pumpkin was definitely the star of the show for me. I started with a guideline recipe and then made it in a much simpler way. Here's how:

- roast a winter squash whole at 400 until cooked through. This will depend on how large it is. A medium pie pumpkin or butternut squash takes about an hour.
    - meanwhile, cook 1 c wild rice in 2c orange juice with 1 tsp dried orange peel added
    - halve and seed the squash and set seeds aside t roast later.
    - spoon the wild rice into the squash halves, top with frozen or fresh cranberries, and brush with real maple syrup, about 1T per squash half and about 1/2 c cranberries total.
    - bake until heated through, about 15 minutes
    - sprinkle with chopped pecans and return to oven to toast nuts, just a few minutes.

YUM!!! Definitely going to have to give that a shot Rosemary. Thanks!

Thread Information