Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First Debate: Romney Pulling Out The Water Works! haha

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That's the problem with elections - there's a winner, and a loser. It hardly seems fair, it is so judgmental, and think what it does for the poor candidates' self-esteem. They should all be winners.
    Maybe we could give Obama the presidency and Romney a participation or Best Smile trophy to help with that.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Thanks creaker..........that was a good response, as opposed to Bae's.
    Yes Bae, I know there is a winner and a loser at the election. Duh. But I find using the words "win" or "lose" in one debate just strange.
    Actually, you make a good point. In a debate competition, Romney would have gotten points for style, but would likely have lost on substance when compared to Obama's.

This reminds me of fights I have seen in my boxing days. One guy could beat the crap out of another, but because he got a piddly nosebleed and there was lots of blood, the uninitiated might think he lost.

But it doesn't matter. Everyone thinks Romney won, so he did. Voting is 100% opinion anyway.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Actually, you make a good point. In a debate competition, Romney would have gotten points for style, but would likely have lost on substance when compared to Obama's.
    I see it just the opposite way. Shock and awe, I know. In truth Storyteller, this campaign season I'm alot happier when we're talking about chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    In truth Storyteller, this campaign season I'm alot happier when we're talking about chickens.
    Okay, I'll shut up.

I think they should have debates (although they aren't really debates anymore), and the media shuts up and then we vote, without the media saying anything about who they thought "won".
    I find polls sort of curious, since in my 62 years, nobody asked me (or anybody I know) what I thought about anything......so you wonder who/where/how they get this info.
    Of course there will be a winner and a loser in the election.............I just wish the media wouldn't put alot of ideas in peoples' heads............people who are easily swayed by what everybody else is thinking/saying/doing.

And as far as "winning"...........it bugs me how the U.S. has to put everything in those terms. Like when we were trying to get out of Iraq and certain people had to constantly say "we won in Iraq!" (even if we really didn't.....nor did it seem like we even knew what it would mean to "win" there.)
    And I don't see what's wrong with saying "It just didn't turn out how we had hoped." .........but this makes alot of people feel insecure and weak, so we're never supposed to say we "lost".

As far as the debates........I don't think talking about who won which one, or talking about it incessantly is good. Just have the danged debates and then go vote......without all this crap in-between.
    I think there are alot of people out there who are easily talked into things, by what the media says.......and they want to go with a "winner"......regardless of his beliefs/record/facts, etc.

Thread Information