Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sourdough starter

Sourdough starter

Well, I am trying again! I have a jar of flour and water sitting on my shelf in the kitchen. I'll let you know in about a week if I get a decent loaf of bread out of it.

Wish me luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good luck! I've tried sourdough at least 5 times and always end up deciding it's too much work for me. I prefer to use an aged sponge, and use it all in the bread recipe, rather than try to keep it going.

Good Luck!! I have tried so many times, but like Rosemary, it is just too much work. I have heard of families with starters that are a decades old! Mine usually goes skanky after a few months. I think unless you use it faithfully every few days, it will go off. I have even tried air drying it and then crushing it and storing in a sealed jar until I need some. That works sometimes, but usually it goes moldy while it is air drying. Let us know how you make out!!!

It has been years but my first exp's as teen ended in "sour" or DOA starter. Then on second old starter gift attempt... it took off and it still lives in the family. Hmm well maybe lives like little turtles in childhood... there is still a couple of starters in fridges of family.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    there is still a couple of starters in fridges of family.
    I'm curious - don't you find it goes moldy if you don't keep "feeding" it on a regular basis?

I sent for the Carl Griffith's sourdough starter (again) this past fall and I have become a sourdough maniac! I now have a white flour starter going and a rye starter going. The rye is really aggressive and would probably achieve world domination if I didn't keep it in the refrigerator. I've already gotten one friend hooked on it and I'm about to give the starter to 2 more people.

Absolutely the starter needs to be fed and used at least once a week or it gets thin and acidic, though it usually can be saved. In the family the starter tends to get shifted around with DM as the gate keeper, based on where we are in our lives.
    DM used to have a yeast "muffin" starter that was GREAT but that was years ago... the real treat was taking a scoop out of the container and into Pyrex fruit cup then microwave... more a steamed pudding than muffin it was never the less a study treat and quick. It did not live too long, as we were eating far too many muffins in DM's eyes. In typical DM B.F, Skinner style they were not taken away but raisins and brown sugar ratio became scarce while the oat bran content zoomed... we were conditioned off and back to carrot sticks.

Was looking pretty good at this morning's feeding! Maybe another day or two and I'll try some bread!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Reyes
    I've had my starter going for years. I make sourdough on almost a weekly basis so it gets fed often.

Have my first dough rising right now and the remaining start is in the fridge. I'm optomistic!

Thread Information