Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sourdough starter

Okay, so it didnt' rise at all. I think my frugal sourdough is clashing with my frugal lower heat. I'm thinking our house is a tad bit too cool. BUT... I am going to continue to feed and nurish my starter - which will hopefully get stronger - and I'll use the dough I make from it for tortillas! I figure I'll end up with a good loaf by spring - LOL!

Thanks for all the support!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Have you tried placing it in the oven? Leave the oven turned OFF and put a pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven. Place the dough on the rack above the pan of hot water and put a dish towel over the dough. The heat and moist atmosphere you have now created in the oven make a perfect rising environment for the dough and no need to turn up the heat in your house. *S* I use this method all the time when I make bread from scratch.

I'll try that. Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Good luck happystuff. I'm on a new batch of starter (about 3 mos old) given to me by a friend. She lives in the fridge and comes out to eat once a week. Her name is Bubbles. (my starters are always named, and always named Bubbles)

Yeah, I know. I'm a sourdough freak. But whenever I make Sandor Katz's sourdough pancakes, it makes it all worth it. Blissful.

puglogic - where can I find that pancake recipe?? TIA!

Sandor Katz has a great book called "Wild Fermentation" with lots of recipes involving live culture foods, from sourdough to hard cider to sauerkraut to tempeh to kimchi, and on and on. The pancake recipe is in there and it's amazing.....like eating raised doughnuts flattened into pancake shape, or something equally yum. I think it's also around on the web - look for his name and Alaskan Frontier Sourdough Hotcakes. But really, this book is great to have on your shelf.

Thanks!

I've started my starter. Now, about how many days does it need to ferment? 4 or 5 maybe?

Does anyone have a good recipe for sourdough bread? Most of the ones I find online are either really complicated or they use yeast.

Simplicity,

This is the basic recipe I started with and still use most of the time. http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm Most of the time I omit the olive oil and replace it with water, just because I've found it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you bake it as instructed, it yields a pale San Francisco type sourdough loaf. You can also play with it by baking hotter, with or without steam, letting it rise in the refrigerator (for a more sour flavor), etc. Sourdough experimentation is a lot of fun!

Cool! Thanks Daisy!

OK so I have my first attempt rising right now. Hopefully it WILL rise - not sure if the starter was at its peak or not. Will find out in a few hours I guess.

So now my next question is: I took out a cup of the starter, so I fed it a cup. Now do i let that grow for a few days or put it in the fridge right now?

Thread Information