Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call the Midwife

I am having a hard time enjoying most American evening type shows. They all show such pretty thin conventional young characters. Kathy Bates played a great older female lawyer but they changed the show and surrounded her with the thin conventionial pretty kids.

Guess we dont fit the demographic they want to fit their advertising.

Sounds very interesting and I love PBS since we don't have cable. I'll be looking for it!
    BayouGirl
    For more of my thoughts on my simple life, check out http://michellerobert.hubpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I am having a hard time enjoying most American evening type shows. They all show such pretty thin conventional young characters. Kathy Bates played a great older female lawyer but they changed the show and surrounded her with the thin conventionial pretty kids.

Guess we dont fit the demographic they want to fit their advertising.
    This isn't an American show, it is British, and the characters are not all pretty/thin/conventional young girls. Maybe I shouldn't say it is British, I am assuming it is since it is set in the East End of London in the mid 1950's. Someone else may know for sure it it is actually produced in Britain, but I believe it is.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I know it is British and being on our PBS station. I was saying that American shows are pretty boring to me either because of unrealistic actors, violence, etc. British shows often do unusual things, like getting rid of primary actors in the middle of a show, having interesting and realistic actors, better writing, etc. Call the Midwife is a true British classic with realistic actors, great writing, realistic location shots, careful details and a subtle handling of sensitive topics.

I have a huge collection of British show DVDs, both dramas and comedy, and watch them while sewing and whenever I can get husband off regular TV. I think we started with Good Neighbors and then I got hooked on Inspector Morse. We even started watching Alan Titchmarsh and Ground Force while in the UK even though I don't garden.

I read the book but have not seen the pbs show.

It reminds me of the bad old days before birth control was widely available. Sex = Pregnancy = Childbirth = Large families. So glad I had access to reliable birth control!

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    It reminds me of the bad old days before birth control was widely available. Sex = Pregnancy = Childbirth = Large families. So glad I had access to reliable birth control!
    Well I would have love that thing that you implant into your arm and it's good for months at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I know it is British and being on our PBS station. I was saying that American shows are pretty boring to me either because of unrealistic actors, violence, etc. British shows often do unusual things, like getting rid of primary actors in the middle of a show, having interesting and realistic actors, better writing, etc. Call the Midwife is a true British classic with realistic actors, great writing, realistic location shots, careful details and a subtle handling of sensitive topics.

I have a huge collection of British show DVDs, both dramas and comedy, and watch them while sewing and whenever I can get husband off regular TV. I think we started with Good Neighbors and then I got hooked on Inspector Morse. We even started watching Alan Titchmarsh and Ground Force while in the UK even though I don't garden.
    Got it now Sweetana3 - and totally agree! Can't relate to prime time TV anymore.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I don't see how anyone can malign hte critically acclaimed American cable shows, they are freeking brilliant. As much and more so than BBC et al.

Network, now that's another story. Network can't do dramas anymore, and they are only able to do a few semi-funny comedies.

Iris Lily, I agree. Network tv stinks, but the stuff on cable is really good. The Wire, Six Feet Under, Dexter, these are just a few that I've watched and enjoyed a lot. Bigger budgets, better acting, great scripts.

But no one does period dramas like the BBC.

Thread Information