Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good book recommendations for fermenting foods?

Any good book recommendations for fermenting foods?

I have a friend who's 40th is coming up. He gardens, he's brewed beer, he's been asking about kombucha - I'd like to find him a good text for fermenting foods, if there is actually one that broad. Something more of a how-to on a number of ways of fermenting foods. Any suggestions?

Hi creaker,

Did a search on Amazon and books came up on each of your catagories. You just have to keep scrolling down to see all of the catagories. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rmenting+foods

Christine

Those by Sandor Ellix Katz are pretty well known, I read his "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved", but didn't make any recipes. His recipes seemed very ad-hoc, as in not precise and messy, kind of like: "leave some cabbage out on the kitchen counter and let it rot and maybe you'll have sour kraut", well honestly not quite *that* bad, but you get the drift, not really the type of precision I would like for that subject area, so hmm that's not really a recommendation, but his name will probably come up as he is well known.
    Trees don't grow on money

Not sure if this is what he is looking for or not, but there is Nurishing Traditions. Can't remember the author's name off-hand. It contains a variety of recipes, including various fermented foods.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

There are several new books I've seen at our library that have the general topic of food preservation, that discuss canning, freezing, drying and fermentation in a fair amount of detail - you might want to browse at your library or bookstore to find what you're looking for.

Here's a link to the Nourishing Traditions book mentioned above: http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra...ing+traditions

I took a couple of classes this year on lacto fermentation. None of them covered kombucha specifically though. I do like the following book for food preservation, they do have one chapter on lacto fermented (pickled) foods. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0

I received as a gift "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. I like it. It goes well beyond the usual kosher dill/bread & butter/sauerkraut trio to examine different methods of fermentation, brining, etc. It seems very approachable to me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I just got Katz's Wild Fermentation. I like his free-style approach; I'm not much of a recipe person. I bought a cheap crock and I'm contemplating kimchee.

We have both the Joy of Pickling and Wild Fermentation. WF is more fun to read, but JOP is our go to source when we actually make something.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Excellent suggestion, Rosemary. I preview books at the library all the time, and buy the best ones.

I have Nourishing Traditions as well. An excellent kitchen basic.

Thread Information