Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retreats, do it yourself or cheap

retreats, do it yourself or cheap

I am seeing that I really need a retreat of a spiritual type. I am grumpy and my compassionate heart is worn thin. After reading that the woman who killed her children had teenagers I realized how stressed us parents of teens really are (not that my kids are in danger). I see one I would like in April but really don't know about affording it, but also don't know how I cannot do something like this. Meanwhile I am going to try to attend as many meditations as i can with a group to keep myself going. I could make up a 'so it yourself' retreat however I would like to have the group as well.

I have to say that my house and lifestyle are really different, a few hours in a 'normal' household with the Super Bowl on and I had my circuits kinda blown.

SUper Bowl isn't Normal. I hate those events--boring boring boring, and really bad food. We don't attend.

The group meditation is a good idea. If you want to do one on your own, will your kids leave you alone to do it? Even if you just did a few hours in your room, that might work. Set it up with candles, water, meditation music, some spiritual reading, a journal, and just BE for awhile, by yourself. Sounds nice.

Oh, absolutely you could do your own retreat. It wouldn't have to be that expensive, either. If you wanted to get away, you could go to a state park with electrified cabins. I doubt they are very busy this time of year. A microwave, some preplanned meals, books, journal, CD/MP3 player for contemplative music or inspirational podcasts and you are good to go.

Otherwise, schedule some time for the kids to be away. Clean the house really well. Stock the fridge. Perhaps invite some of your meditation group over to meditate at different times during the weekend or whatever.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

So I read about a retreat i really want to do, it is just right for me and I am doing more and more thinking about it. I am thinking about writing a letter to the retreat center and asking for a discount or assistance. I have never done that before, eeek. I have the background and determination to be a great contributing participant in this retreat, I work a socially responsible job I love, I take care of my family and friends, I just don't have money because I am putting other more important things first. They can just say no after all, but maybe that would bring it into a range I could handle.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If they say yes, you're golden. If they say no, it's not personal. Keep us posted.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Give it a try -- you never know. My friend did this a couple of years ago and several places allowed her to come without paying the fee. She is from a developing country and was doing research on Buddhism in America (but is also a practicing Buddhist), so a slightly different situation, but heck -- if a dharma center isn't willing to consider it I don't know who would be!

My friend is back in the US again this year, and might be heading out to CO at some point -- let me check with her and see if she knows if there might be some interesting things going on. I would love for the two of you to meet, actually -- I think you might hit it off and she is a wonderful person to talk about Buddhism (and other stuff) with.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Oh very cool! I was telling someone the other day how I have friends from all over the world and I have no idea what they even look like and I counted you in the group. It would be great to meet a friend of a friend. I belong to a Unitarian Universalist church and meeting your friend would an interest to many of us.

The Shambhala Mountain Center is the place I have looked for retreats. I go sit with their group in Denver sometimes

do a housesit for a friend or a petsit with just a cat. Go to the house. Bring food you love. Bring wine or whatever you want. Bring novels to read or music to listen to or meditations. Go by yourself. Don't call home. Let them that are there handle all that.
    Good cheap retreat. I do a couple a year and I hardly have a hectic life anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh very cool! I was telling someone the other day how I have friends from all over the world and I have no idea what they even look like and I counted you in the group. It would be great to meet a friend of a friend. I belong to a Unitarian Universalist church and meeting your friend would an interest to many of us.

The Shambhala Mountain Center is the place I have looked for retreats. I go sit with their group in Denver sometimes
    I'll email you off line with more info. I think you and she would really hit it off.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information