Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: retreats, do it yourself or cheap

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    do a housesit for a friend or a petsit with just a cat. Go to the house. Bring food you love. Bring wine or whatever you want. Bring novels to read or music to listen to or meditations. Go by yourself. Don't call home. Let them that are there handle all that.
    Good cheap retreat. I do a couple a year and I hardly have a hectic life anymore.
    I think I have found the solution to finding a house/cat sitter when we travel.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Another option would be to go on a Vipassana meditation retreat/course. They are ten day silent retreats given all over the country and are entirely free, including room and board. They are not religious, but teach a form of meditation associated with Theraveda Buddhism. You are only allowed to make a donation AFTER you have completed the retreat, on the last day. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Another option would be to go on a Vipassana meditation retreat/course. They are ten day silent retreats given all over the country and are entirely free, including room and board. They are not religious, but teach a form of meditation associated with Theraveda Buddhism. You are only allowed to make a donation AFTER you have completed the retreat, on the last day. Highly recommended!
    I agree, I will be off to my third session in April. However, you really have to figure 12 days for the course, since the course starts with 4 hours in the evening of the arrival day and ends with four hours on the departure day.

a retreat can be something as simple as carving out a few quiet minutes each day with a large cup of coffee while reading a couple of Bible verses. If you can just make a habit of finding some quiet time alone with your thoughts.

Thank you all, I have actually used my juggling muscles to get a weekend with my boyfriend while he is stuck in Texas on business. We were trying for Vegas (not really a retreat however) but there was a blackout with his tickets. In any case it will be a break from home and kids and animals when my mom can be here. He came with me to a meditation which is huge since he has a background in Baptist seminary and liked it 90%, that is more than I expected. He could use the help relaxing overal. Tonight everyone will be out of the house a few hours and I will work on a little writing.

I love Shambhala Mountain Center. We're actually going to Red Feather Lakes this weekend for a different kind of retreat, but gosh that's such a great place.

us parents of teens
    a 'normal' household
    From one point of view Zoe Girl you are in yr 'house-hold yoga' years which go from 28-54 .

So while getting 'away' to meditation may allow you respite I wonder what might happen if you plunge
    with conviction into the phase you find yrself? What might happen if you turn the household task into
    matter for awareness?

While there are many views of what meditation is/or comprises ... one feature all have in common is the
    slowing down of thinking. There is not a lot to compare with the awareness exercise in terms of both
    being fully present and not giving attention to thought.
    Washing the dishes is yoga, making the bed is yoga ... for when these are done the mind is not drifting
    off on other matters but is right there with the bed-cover, with the dish detergent ...

And it doesn't require $
    http://www.humanecology.com.au/
    "It's about a way of being."

Hi -
    I have been reading The Woman's Comfort Book by Jennifer Louden and there are a lot of great suggestions on how to restore one's peace of mind. She has also written The Woman's Retreat Book, which I haven't read. Both are very popular and probably at your public library.

I got the idea to take a Day Off (no errands, no cleaning, no guilt) from the book, and plan on taking my day this weekend. It will be the first time I've given myself that permission since dd was born (almost 12 years!) Crazy that I didn't think of it myself - but she has a lot of ideas like that.

Came upon this ... in the light of the earlier comment about house-hold yoga:-

"Other teachings, such as Zen, begin by frustrating all your attempts to zoom out. You come to the Zen Master to find Ultimate Reality and enlightenment, and to your great consternation, all the Master ever does is give meticulous instructions for cleaning the toilet and sweeping the floor! Finally, you realize that Ultimate Reality is not someplace else. By giving careful attention to the form of this moment, you discover formlessness or emptiness. You discover that nothing holds still. And yet, there is a great stillness at the very heart of everything. Stillness and movement, like form and emptiness, are found to be not one, not two."

In other words 'It' (that which you are seeking) is right here, right now ... in cleaning of the toilet, in the making of the bed....
    http://www.humanecology.com.au/
    "It's about a way of being."

I know, I have some other things going on and unless staying here with my children as they work out trauma (and focus it on me) gets a little easier it is gonna really take its toll. Okay it has, and a big problem is not having a good place for them to go while we all take a break from this process. So we will see,

Thread Information