Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling and moving:Is this financially wise?

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    But, they all fell through. My agent said that the next door neighbors did not have nice things to say about me or my property to the potential buyers. One is a very macho controlling man, and he was hanging out by the fence while the agents showed the house. He would intercept the potential buyers and sabotage...(sigh...).
    As you mentioned later in your post, you would think they would want to help you sell -- or at least not hinder a possible sale. Could your RE agent give you any additional feedback from others who viewed the house? I'm a little curious that in a week you got four offers (okay, not curious about that, it happens) but that the four offers all fell through. Were these buyers not prequalified/preapproved? It usually takes longer than a week to get a mortgage/appraisal/closing date, so I'm surprised that things fell apart so early in the process. Might be worth asking the agent about that, even if just for future reference. Really, for as big a pain as it is to sell a residence in which you're living, the viewing should be limited to open houses and to people who actually can qualify to purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul
    There were other problems, too. My agent was very pushy and I didn't feel she was communicating what I wanted to the interested agents. She wanted to pick the agent who would close the sale with her.
    Do you have a contract with this agent to represent the house for X amount of time? Whenever your commitment to her is done, I strongly suggest finding someone else, and maybe even from another brokerage. This one apparently is not representing your interests. Agents you can work with should not be pushy and should not be manipulating a sale like that. I'm not really familiar with RE law, but her behavior sounds borderline unethical to me. On the other hand, there are lots of details which are not present here, so maybe I'm being unfair to the agent. But based on what I see here, you'd be better off with another agent if you can find one.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I lived in a similar neighborhood. It was fine when I moved in, but gradually deteriorated. There were not many noisy parties, but the police were at the houses on either side routinely over yelling domestic disputes and some physical violence. I moved to an old established neighborhood with mostly senior citizens and have never looked back. A person should be comfortable in their home or it really isn't so much a home but a house. It seems like there will always be a problem neighbor, but it is so nice to have neighbors who are decent folks.
    To my tight *ssed neighbor I supposed that I am the noisy nasty piece of business, haha, for the loud event that took place on the sidewalk in front of my own house a few weeks ago. It was 8:30 at night and I was talking to two other neighbors, we ad a lot to say and w were laughing and in high spirits. He couldn't abide it and had to ask me to be quiet since "this IS a public street after all" whatever that means.

OP, that's really great that you received so many offers out of the box. That shows you that your property is sellable, so when you want to go, you'll be able to do so.

Thanks Steve and Iris Lily. Am seeing now that it's much more affordable for me to stay here. I can bike everywhere and my utility bills are super low. Yes, I agree with you about the realtor, Steve. The best offer was cash, and her parents were putting up the money. Her father changed his mind. (After I saw him talking with my neighbor.) One was an FHA loan, and the realtor offered part of his commission to my realtor if she took his offer. They came to my house late at night and I turned the outside light out. (I was trying to sleep.) I heard a voice say, "awakenedsoul, it's not selling. $125,000." It was so creepy! This was after the cash person backed out. Her agent "accidentally wrote the wrong real estate company on the forms." She was stalling. (Said her granddaughter was in the hospital, etc...) There was just a lot of shady stuff going on. I didn't see the fourth offer because I had already ended things with the agent. I've had terrible experiences with real estate agents here. I have caught them in so many lies.

Have talked with previous owners of this house, and all three of them had trouble with the same neighbors, too. It's been much better. I really love my little house. They just don't seem to be building one bedroom one bathroom places anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    OP, that's really great that you received so many offers out of the box. That shows you that your property is sellable, so when you want to go, you'll be able to do so.
    It was nice to see the reaction of the realtors. They really liked all my second hand antiques. I've been putting a lot of time into fixing up my home, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I would never get upset with someone for just having an animated conversation. This situation is totally different. But, at least it's quiet most of the time. I've been giving a lot of fruit away to my nice neighbors. That seems to help the most. I think they perceived my living by myself as being prey. In their culture, a woman living alone is very looked down upon...(Oops! I ended that sentence with a preposition.)

Steve,
    The cash offer was an as is sale. She had proof of funds, but my agent didn't tell me it was her parents' money. She said, "She has $249,000. in the bank." She also wanted a two week escrow. I didn't think at the time to check for her name. It came to me later. It was an emotional roller coaster. I learned a lot. Now that you mention it, all three realtors I've tried over the past 15 years were from the same company. They felt like gamblers. to me.
    Last edited by awakenedsoul; 11-1-12 at 10:11pm. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    ... Her father changed his mind. (After I saw him talking with my neighbor.) ...
    The prospective buyer did not change his mind because of any bad-mouthing about you from that neighbor, he changed his mind because none of them wanted to be neighbors with that guy. And, it is my best guess that your neighbor is not interested in having a new person in your house because it is very likely that the new owner(s) will probably be more assertive about his bad behaviors.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    The prospective buyer did not change his mind because of any bad-mouthing about you from that neighbor, he changed his mind because none of them wanted to be neighbors with that guy. And, it is my best guess that your neighbor is not interested in having a new person in your house because it is very likely that the new owner(s) will probably be more assertive about his bad behaviors.

Thank you. I've taken him to court for harassment, threatening an animal, and violation of a noise ordinance. I've also called the police on him numerous times. They advised me to move. He is a very difficult man. (Abusive and controlling.) He and his wife both have cancer. It sounds terrible, but I guess I just have to wait it out.

Having moved way to many times for at the time "all the right reasons", I suppose I can give not much offering of help other then; Neighbors can be troublesome anyhwere. One home I never imagined bad neighbors, it ended up being the only place we had a security system installed just casue of them. But if you want to move, you should. Life is interesting that way.

I ran the numers on living somewhere else, and this home is far more inexpensive and energy efficient. It's also in excellent condition. I am focusing on the great neighbors that I have. LIke you said, I could move and end up next door to another problem. The neighborhood itself is improving, which I find encouraging.

Thread Information