Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Selling and moving:Is this financially wise?

Awakenedsoul, my inlaws lived next to a horrible woman who complained about everything. My inlaws were two little quiet elderly neighbors without pets, kids, noise, etc. Well, the wife died and suddenly the husband could not do enough for them and turned out to be a very nice neighbor. My inlaws just outlived the problem neighbor. He was so sorry when Dad died and Mom moved out here to live near us.

Thanks sweetana3. I'm trying to focus on the positives. When I looked at what I could buy for what my older home is worth, there's no comparison. I think sometimes when people are sick they become very negative. I wish your in laws lived next door to me! I have some new neighbors across the street, and they are really considerate and easy. I also have a family behind me who are also dog lovers and they have invited me over for a meal. So, the situation has improved. I've noticed the difficult neighors seem perturbed when they see me chatting with the neighbors I really like. (Before they were trying to isolate me.) I'll try to focus on my goals and the big picture.

Today I needed an onion to make tacos. It was so convenient to just hop on my bike and run to the store. Stuff like that will help a lot as I get older. The place I looked at in the mountains was really out in the boonies. Beatiful, but isolated.

I'm going to come right out and say it---their bad health will probably bring an end to this awful situation, there may well be light at the end of this tunnel. You are so so smart to be cautious before making an un-do-able change, given how many plusses are involved, but I really hate the noise harrassment you are dealing with. Noise-stress can really affect a person's life. Can you make an intentional effort to go on retreats or camping trips to give yourself some more regular quiet time? A good soak in silence may have some monetary costs---but it's cheaper than moving and a huge investment in your mental and physical health. Also: Noise-cancelling headphones. Bose makes a $300 pair, expensive, but I would have lost my mind years ago without 'em.

Good luck, Awakened Soul. When we had noisy neighbors partying literally all night long outside our backyard in Phx, we called the police with a noise complaint and got no response. The next time they had a party late into the night (like past midnight) we called the police and said we thought there was underage drinking going on there was drinking going on, but we had no idea if it was adults or what, just that it was loud). This solved the problem. However, it sounds like the police have been by your neighbors a bunch and not done anything. I would suggest perhaps a loud lawnmower at 5 or 6am the morning following a party night. Airhorns, your car horn, a boom box, whatever. You smelled natural gas coming from their house at 6am and decided to call the fire department. You send them flower delivery specifically at 6 or 7 am. There may be an evil computer program that will dial their phone number(s) at a specific time. Anything to wake them up, every time they party, right around dawn. Preferably repeatedly. If all efforts to be nice and ask for consideration have failed, you can fight fire with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieTR View Post
    You smelled natural gas coming from their house at 6am and decided to call the fire department.
    I think fake emergency calls are against the laws in most locations.

For those of you suggesting tit for tat responses like a lot of noice at 5am, they are not her only neighbors.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    For those of you suggesting tit for tat responses like a lot of noice at 5am, they are not her only neighbors.
    Wasn't there a movie where people did this to each other--in the 80's maybe--they lived on a culdesac? It turned me off culdesac living permanantly,

With these people, it would only make them worse. They thrive on that. I have a German shepherd who will stand in the driveway and bark incessantly during their parties. It really annoys them, so that has worked the best. I keep her quiet the rest of the time. It's actually gotten so much better. When I first moved here, their parties were for three days, every weekend. Now it's once in a blue moon. I think they are going somewhere else now. (without a noisy dog.)

It's so true...you can't put a price on peace and quiet.

Thread Information