Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching the date of Halloween Trick or Treating--Why do this?

Switching the date of Halloween Trick or Treating--Why do this?

Just got an email from the Town, in which they state that Trick or Treating will be Tuesday, Oct. 30, from 5-8 pm. They've done this before, moving Halloween to the day before. They didn't do it last year, when Halloween was on a Monday night.

Why do some places do this? I could sort of see it if they were moving Trick or Treating to a Saturday night instead of a Sunday night, because it would make sense to let the kids stay up later on a weekend night. But moving it from Wednesday to Tuesday don't give any benefit that I can see. And the only place I have seen this information is in that email. It's not up on the town website. So how many people aren't going to be prepared for trick or treaters a day early?

Anyone else live where they do this? Any idea *why* they do this?

And to confuse matters even more, the business district on Main Street is having Trick or Treating on the Saturday before Halloween.

When did Halloween become a week long holiday instead of a few hours after dark one day a year?

Go through your cities website and email them!!! If they haven't updated it, they need to know that, as if they did change it (verses someone screwing with their system), they should be able to explain it to you.

My guess, is so the kids can do that function, and the people who work for them could then be off to take their kids out, trick or treating at places like the grandparents neighborhoods, the next day.

They might do it so that there is no mischief night the night before Halloween. Don't know if that goes on where you live or not...

As long as candy is involved, who cares!!!!!!

I just moved to a new city and should probably find out when ours is and buy some candy. Have to buy stuff I do not like so that there is some left for the trick-or-treaters.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Mrs-M
    Asinine! Altering holiday/celebration dates never takes place in our neck of the woods. I'm totally biased towards date-moving, as in against it. Like the time-change issue, very irritating!

Halloween, happens on October 31, whether the 31st falls on a Monday, a Sunday, or a Wednesday. I'd definitely ring-up the city and question them on it.

Re: celebrating the event days in advance... I don't understand that, either.

I've never heard of such a thing. Crazy!
    Where do you live?

Weird! It seems a little strange for a city to be telling people when to celebrate a non-civic holiday.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

I've never heard of this or seen it.

Currently, I live in a small city in New Hampshire. But the same thing happened when I was a child, I think when we lived in Pennsylvania.

The only explanation anyone has ever been able to give me is that they are trying to avoid Devil's Night, as Tussiemussies suggests. That has never made sense to me, because either the kids will simply change Devil's Night to the 29th, or they'll just go ahead and do their mischief while everyone is trick or treating. That explanation never came from anyone in a position to really know why the change was made, so I've never really trusted it.

It's just odd, and I don't really understand it.

It's interesting but mischief night is fading out in our area. WhenI was younger you would be on your way to school and see so many trees strewn with toilet paper hanging down from them. Cars with the windows soaped up and the remnants of thrown eggs and smashed pumpkins. I live in a different part of the state now, but have rarely seen any of this. The only thing that goes on here this time of year is the deer eating our Mums...

Thread Information