Thread: Anti-Consumerist Community Living in the Pacific Northwest

Anti-Consumerist Community Living in the Pacific Northwest

My name is Tristan Dickison and I'm a senior sociology undergraduate at The Colorado College. As part of an independent research project funded by the college, I intend to shoot a ten to twelve minute documentary on anti-consumerist communities residing in two cities in the Pacific Northwest, Portland and Seattle. I am interested in meeting and interviewing some people who have made a daily commitment to responsible purchasing, low consumption, and “slow living." I have already received IRB proposal from my school to do this project, which I can provide to whomever it concerns. Because I am more or less unfamiliar with these cities, I am using my time now to contact over the internet as many potential interview subjects as possible. I will spend February 17th through February 26th in the Northwest. Please email me a reply at tristan.dickison@coloradocollege.edu.
    Thanks

Silly question: If you are unfamiliar with either city, why would you base a college project so far away? Is it because of the assumption that there are these hypothetical non-consumers out there, and that people tend to head that direction as the light of non-consumerism blooms in their life?

Disclaimer: I lived in the Tacoma/Olympia area for 2 years. Folks there seemed spread fairly evenly over the spending spectrum from what I could tell. This is why I'm wondering why you chose PNW in particular if you don't already have a tie there.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoss View Post
    Silly question: If you are unfamiliar with either city, why would you base a college project so far away? Is it because of the assumption that there are these hypothetical non-consumers out there, and that people tend to head that direction as the light of non-consumerism blooms in their life?

Disclaimer: I lived in the Tacoma/Olympia area for 2 years. Folks there seemed spread fairly evenly over the spending spectrum from what I could tell. This is why I'm wondering why you chose PNW in particular if you don't already have a tie there.
    Ah, but we do have a national reputation in that area. Seattle and Portland, both.

Doing research in a new area can be an asset regarding objectivity...

He's probably tying in a vacation somehow.

Vicki Robin lives on Whidbey Island, so maybe try to get in touch with her.

Thread Information