Thread: Documentary on Simple Living in the Pacific Northwest

Documentary on Simple Living in the Pacific Northwest

My name is Tristan Dickison and I'm a senior sociology undergraduate at The Colorado College. As part of an independent research project funded by the college, I intend to shoot a ten to twelve minute documentary on anti-consumerist communities residing in two cities in the Pacific Northwest, Portland and Seattle. I am interested in meeting and interviewing some people who have made a daily commitment to responsible purchasing, low consumption, and “slow living." I have already received IRB proposal from my school to do this project, which I can provide to whomever it concerns. Because I am more or less unfamiliar with these cities, I am using my time now to contact over the internet as many potential interview subjects as possible. I will spend February 17th through February 26th in the Northwest. Please email me a reply at tristan.dickison@coloradocollege.edu.

Tristan

I believe that Vicki Robin lives about 30 miles outside of Seattle. If I was going to do any project remotely related to simple living I would first try and get in touch with her. I would then head in any direction that she points me towards.

For Portland, you might want to get in touch with Tammy Strobel http://rowdykittens.com/

Also. You might want to try Katy Wolk Stanley http://thenonconsumeradvocate.com/ I believe she is in Portland.

If you want to visit an extreme endpoint, I can hook you up with contacts on Waldron Island in the San Juans, about an hour by seaplane north of Seattle, where they have by choice no power, no ferry service, no telephone, and so on.

Maybe contact someone at the NW Earth Institute in PDX. I don't know if the founders, Dick and Jeanne Roy, are still around or even both still alive, but they're pretty interesting.

http://nwei.org/about_us/history
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Vicki lives on Whidbey Island. She's on FB.

Thanks for the help. Do you live in Portland, by any chance?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Tristandi View Post
    Thanks for the help. Do you live in Portland, by any chance?
    Not sure who you were asking; I don't live in PDX...but only about 10 minutes away across the river. I'd be willing to be interviewed, but I'm not a very exciting or remarkable subject I don't think.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information