Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wow, food prices are high!

Well, I definitely see a huge increase from even the last time I originally posted this thread. I am trying harder to pick up staples each time I shop to put into reserve. But for me, in my neck of the woods, none of the ethnic markets have proven to be cheaper. In fact they are higher by far. Even their bulk prices are higher than the warehouse chains. I go to them for things that are unavailable in other local stores, like fresh lard, cuts of meats that chains don't carry, and certain ethnic seasonings or sauces, but I'm better off buying my beans and rice at the Winco. I suspect ethnic markets may be cheaper in more urban areas, but I live in a rural area with only one midsize city in the entire region. Everything else is a small town separated by miles of forest land and mountains.

Might be fun to compare. Here is the weekly ad from our local chain "ethnic" grocery:
    http://www.fiestamart.com/umbraco/st...s/Store_25.pdf

Well, Yay! That IS fun. And it's amazing. Our ethnic markets here don't even have a weekly ad, nor do they carry the volume of products. Here, both the Asian and Hispanic ethnic stores are about the size of a 7/ll. So, I can see I don't have anything to compare. The main difference I see beside the HUGE selection is the meat seems more Americanized. The whole chicken is a great price. Can match that here. I didn't even see plain old pinto beans. The stores here are mostly for carrying some products from home that aren't in the local grocery stores and and the meat is specific to their style of cooking. One makes tamales, tacos and frescas and sells them from a stand outside. I could compare this ad more to a normal run of the mill grocery store here, and it seems to be on par with one of our warehouse stores.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Rob ... Do you go Hispanic chains, or mom and pops? Can you recommend some in the downtown area?
    Hi Tammy!

I go to Food City on 21st Place and McDowell, they always have at least some produce on deep discount and not a bad place to pick up beans and rice. I also go to Ranch Market on 16th Street and Roosevelt - great atmosphere, really takes you into over the top Mexico right when you enter. Good deals on produce but beware, produce is often close to ripe when you buy it here. And I also go to El Super on Thomas Road and 32nd Street, they have KILLER deals on produce every Wednesday and not to bad deals on other items in the store. Any places you go to I have not mentioned? Rob

My husband does most of our shopping. He has been to some if the ones you mentioned i think ... We've lived here 3 years and are still finding new places. Right now his fav is safwqay over by 7th ave a few blocks north if downtown. There's a food city a few blocks from mt work. I think its the first one you mentioned. We'll have to stop there again.

I think the bulk shopping at Costco has really helped me. I'm still using up things I bought there months ago: chocolate chips that I just used in brownies, flour, salt, and yeast that I use for baking bread, dried fruit and nuts that help me keep my blood sugar balanced, etc. I belong to an organic co op and I only need to order from them once every 4-6 weeks now. The orchard and veggie garden have done better than I expected. I do splurge on raw cheese and raw milk. I like to support the farmers, and I know it's healthier. I've been making lemonade from my homegrown lemons instead of buying juice. I think I'll make some granola today with my stockpile ingredients. When I was in cc debt, I didn't have the cash to buy in bulk. It's been a huge shift for me, now that I can stock up on food with cash. Such a relief!

My biggest problem is finding fresh vegs and fruit--they not only cost more, they're not as nutritious and don't last as long. Also there are big gaps on the produce and other grocery shelves now, where there used to be more kinds of food.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

I try to eat locally, but winter in Minnesota is not conducive to that. Pretty much everything is imported, though at least apples and pears can be cold-stored successfully. Some fruit types weather the trip better than others. One tactic I use is to stockpile frozen organic berries, peach slices, and melon chunks (and mango; love mango) when it's on sale during the summer and fall. It provides a nice break from endless apples, pears, and oranges and it's at least nutritionally- and taste-equivalent to anything I can reasonably purchase during the winter.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I try to eat locally, but winter in Minnesota is not conducive to that. Pretty much everything is imported, though at least apples and pears can be cold-stored successfully. Some fruit types weather the trip better than others. One tactic I use is to stockpile frozen organic berries, peach slices, and melon chunks (and mango; love mango) when it's on sale during the summer and fall. It provides a nice break from endless apples, pears, and oranges and it's at least nutritionally- and taste-equivalent to anything I can reasonably purchase during the winter.
    Oh, that's a great idea. I have some persimmons that I froze. This year was one of my best crops. I'll have to plant extra melons this year and freeze them. I put in some berry bushes last year, but I think it will be a while before I have enough to freeze.

Last night we went to Walmart and every item we bought was $4.00 -- $5.00. I was shocked! There is nowhere to buy anything cheap anymore...

Thread Information