Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, food prices are high!

Actually, Wildflower, baking is still probably one of the cheapest hobbies. Even if it triples in price, flour is cheap compared to almost anything else. A typical loaf of bread uses 1# of flour and will cost under $1.

I've noticed a big price increase at our local supermarket chain (Cub) and have not been there much in about 6 months. I used to shop loss leaders there, but now there aren't any that draw my attention. In the summer I buy produce at the farmers market, in the winter mostly at Costco and Aldi. (I don't buy much other than produce at Aldi, as there are too many artificial ingredients, too much sodium, etc. But produce is a great deal - pomegranates were 69 cents this week!) Prices at our local (pricey) natural foods store seem stable.

Regular old store brand, white, all purpose flour has been on sale here for $.78 for 5# for a couple weeks. With the USDA wheat harvest projections it could be quite a while till we see that again.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I went shopping yesterday and milk just jumped 30 cents a gallon. I figured it would go up, but I thought the increase might be more gradual.

We have changed the way we shop over the past few years - buying bulk grains, flour, beans, etc and as much fresh produce as I can afford. To me, meat and seafood have gone up the most; we have cut way back on that anyway. I stopped buying boxed cereal a long time ago but noticed it is way up there along with all the other heavily processed foods. I don't know why anyone can justify buying it anymore at $5 and $6 a box. We switched to whole oat groats which are very cheap. I end up going to several different places each week in my neighborhood in search of better prices and I stopped shopping at places like Whole Foods. Natural Grocers is my new mainstay for really fresh organic produce at a decent price - some local. I also shop at the ethnic groceries nearby which seem to have better prices and more interesting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I've noticed a big price increase at our local supermarket chain (Cub) and have not been there much in about 6 months. I used to shop loss leaders there, but now there aren't any that draw my attention.
    A bit off-topic, Rosemary, I'm not entirely sure Cub is an accurate barometer for food prices anymore. For a "warehouse" chain, their prices are often higher than the other warehouse choices in town. Many times for organic, they're the same price or higher than the co-op. And last time I was in the Midway store, it looked a bit like a New Jersey supermarket pre-Sandy -- lots of empty shelves and the produce looked pretty haggard. I suspect SuperValu's financial problems may be having an effect. It's not the belwether it used to be.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

bunnys
    I buy steel cut oats @ my local HFS down the road for .89 per pound. So much cheaper and healthier than the processed stuff--even the "healthy" processed cereal as extruded cereals spike the blood sugar.

Last January, I bought a bread machine for $7. at the thrift store. I used it for about 5 months and then the seal broke. I don't understand what caused this to happen but it's kind of a drag as I was really enjoying that machine and had saved quite a bit of money making my own bread. I don't know what would cause this...

Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    I buy steel cut oats @ my local HFS down the road for .89 per pound. So much cheaper and healthier than the processed stuff--even the "healthy" processed cereal as extruded cereals spike the blood sugar.

Last January, I bought a bread machine for $7. at the thrift store. I used it for about 5 months and then the seal broke. I don't understand what caused this to happen but it's kind of a drag as I was really enjoying that machine and had saved quite a bit of money making my own bread. I don't know what would cause this...
    You don't have to have a bread machine to make your own bread. It really isn't hard at all to make it by hand. Honestly, if a kitchen-challenged person like me can make bread, anyone can!!

bunnys
    Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    You don't have to have a bread machine to make your own bread. It really isn't hard at all to make it by hand. Honestly, if a kitchen-challenged person like me can make bread, anyone can!!
    Oh, I know. The problem is will I? If it's too much effort, I won't bother. I just liked throwing all the stuff in, hitting the button and 2 hours later having fresh baked bread for pennies.

Bunny- google artisan bread in 5 minutes a day or no knead bread. I use this method without a bread maker, and it really couldn't be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Bunny- google artisan bread in 5 minutes a day or no knead bread. I use this method without a bread maker, and it really couldn't be easier.
    +1 We bake several times a week, and it takes almost no time at all once you get into the habit of it.

Thread Information